Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Today, A Magnificent Whirlwind




I know so many have been anxiously waiting for this post and I assure you all is well. The events of the day were quite exhausting and now that the family is fast asleep I have some time to journal my thoughts and the wonderful events of the last 24 hours.

To start, every night after dinner Lucrecia, who cooks and cleans for us in the afternoon, makes a fire in the fireplace for all of us to sip coffee and relax for a bit. Well it just so happened that it stormed and the electric when out just as we were going to our room to prepare for today. Needless to say we all sat around the fire and had a good time until about 10 pm. Of course I didn’t sleep well in fear that the electric would go off and we would over sleep and not be ready to go in time. I don’t think nerves had anything to do with me not sleeping…smile.

Nate and Emi sometimes talk in their sleep and during the night last night Nate spoke out in his sleep, but he spoke in Spanish. That’s my boy! Not too long after I was wide eyed and bushy tailed by 5:15 and in the shower.

David, our interpreter, picked us up around 9:30 this morning and took us to the ICBF office. The drive was much more interesting than our previous rides. We were in a car this time and not a van. We swerved in and out of traffic like we owned the road, it was humorous. David is adorable and speaks English wonderfully. He gave us lots of interesting facts and fun notes about the city etc. He is very funny, very enjoyable to have around.

When we arrived at the ICBF Emilee started shaking. So much so that everyone was asking her if she was cold. She was not cold she was a nervous wreck. Nate was a little giddy/hyper but pulled it together. We waited in an office for a while and our nerves calmed. Lucia, the CHI “boss” here, came in and told us the children had arrived and were very happy with smiles and sweet. We were then taken to the meeting room. A social worker and some others came in to talk to us about the children before we met them. They handed us a very nice scrapbook that the orphanage made with photos of Jessica and Joaquin in their everyday activities. It also included a schedule of their days. Our photo pages we sent them were included in the back of the book. The social worker told us they were happy, laid back kids, they eat well, make friends easily, are protective of each other, and excited to meet us. She said they wake up in the morning and shower and get themselves ready and make their own breakfast. It was also stated that Joaquin is the most smiley of all 150 children in the orphanage. She gave us some more info on how they came to ICBF, most of it we knew, but a few details were added. She also said the kids are very excited to meet us but are nervous about flying and going to the United States. We thanked them for all they have done to complete our family and then it was time to bring in Jessica and Joaquin.

Jessica and Joaquin entered the room with big smiles but obvious butterflies in their stomachs. They warmed up after just a minute or two. It’s the most awkward thing really, but you know that soon it will be old hat. After just a few minutes they were calling us Mami and Papi. The sound of that brought tears to my eyes and does still just thinking about it. We didn’t cry but I think after typing this journal I am going to. It’s been an emotional day on the inside, in our hearts.

After only 10 minutes with the kids it was time to get out of the room for the next family. We were told to come back next Monday at 10am for our interrogation meeting, that’s when we get full custody. We had given the kids backpacks with goodies int hem so we told them it was time to clean up and go. They packed up their things and off we went. Jessica jumped on Emi’s back and Joaquin in Eric’s arms. Up until this point they really didn’t say much, just smiley.

We arrived at the B&B and showed them to our cabin. They went nuts looking at every nook and cranny of the place. We kept a lot of the toys we brought packed in a suitcase which was good, because I think they were a little overwhelmed. They spied the Ipods, computers and mini dvd players right away and went nuts with them. They asked to brush their teeth right away too, which was strange. They have brushed their teeth 3 times since we arrived at noon. All of the excitement and nerves had them, mostly Jessica, running from one thing to the next for hours. The info we got today said they take a nap daily, so we tried to get them to lay down, Joaquin fell right to sleep, but Jessica did not, she just rested for a short time with her Papi.

Jessica quickly became a Papi’s girl, she won’t leave his side. Every time we leave our cabin to go in the yard, dining room or play room, Joaquin packs his backpack with all of his belongings to bring with him. Also, they are infatuated with the mircrowave. Everything has to be warmed up, everything, even chips! Bottles of water had to be warm not cold. Even when they brush their teeth they ask to use warm water. It’s kind of funny.

Then at 4 pm they had a party for the three of us who have new additions. It was so nice, they had a cake, games and photos of each family. Joaquin had just woken up from his nap at 4 and was a bit shy. He let me hold him but didn’t want any part of the party until the cake was served. Then he livened up again. It seems Jessica is not shy at all and Joaquin is shy but warms up quickly.

At dinner they were asked what they wanted from our buffet. They said they didn’t want any of it so Lucrecia made them toast and eggs according to their liking. They ate well but I think giving them a choice is not such a good thing. The ladies here try to give the kids what they want. They have French fries for the kids at every meal. Grilled cheese is also an option. I’ve not seen PB&J yet, but they do what they can to satisfy the kids. Emilee and Nate are not picky at all they enjoy trying new things and generally like it.

After dinner we sat at the fire for a few minutes and them back to the room to wind down. We knew they had to be exhausted. By this time they finally had calmed down and we could see the true colors shining through. They are both very smart, Jessica has figured out how to gesture and point if we are not understanding the Spanish. And she love to write her name. She writes Jessica Sanchez Hollis.

By 9 pm we told them it was time to get pajamas on and get ready for bed. They hopped right to it. Then Jessica started going through her clothes to pick out what she wanted to wear tmw. It doesn’t match real well so I think I am going to sneak over and trade out her pants. She pulled out everything she will need, folded it nicely and set it to the side. Then she went to Joaquin’s drawers to pull out his clothes. I couldn’t believe it. I actually teared up, she’s a little mommy to him. She then ordered me to take Joaquin into the bathroom to brush his teeth, it blew me away. She is the smartest little thing and so independent.

Joaquin has a bit of a cold, so I gave him some medicine and he took it then crawled right into bed after giving hugs and kisses. He had to sleep with his bear, motorcycle and transformer. Jessica insisted on sleeping one night with papi and mami, so we obliged. She is a cuddle bug for sure and very affectionate. Joaquin wasn’t ready to give besos (kisses) until this evening when he freely gave them before bed time.

They went to sleep without a peep, no fight, no whining. What a relief.

Emi has been a real trooper, enjoying her new siblings to the fullest. Nate has been a bit quiet so we will keep our eye on him. After a few days when things calm down he will be better I’m sure. It was truly a whirlwind today and I don’t think Nate quite knew how to handle all of the feelings. We are going to work on a setting a routine tmw and establishing some rules, this will help a great deal in Jessica and Joaquin not feeling so overwhelmed.

I have more to say but am falling asleep. More tomorrow. Jessica insists we get new shoes tmw and she wants a pair of earrings too. She came with one earing, but both ears are pierced. The earring she had in was badly twisted and would not come out. I worked on it and got it out but she immediately asked if she could get some new ones.

Good night!


20 comments:

Genece said...

Definitely a whirlwind -- Presentation day is an experience truly scripted by God! So glad to hear your day went well! I was thinking about your family all day today! What sweet little blessings God has given to you! Don't fret, Nate will bounce back. Marissa was that way a little the first day but the next day her spirit was renewed.

Sending our love and our prayers to the Hollis family of 6!
Genece and Rick, Marissa, Fabian, Karen and Luis

Juniper said...

I am so glad to hear that all went well today. Your family has been on my mind all day today and I couldn't wait to get home to find out if you had posted your next blog. I was so excited to see that you had! :0)

You are finding out so much about them already. I am glad that they didn't fuss or have many problems adjusting.

You have great kids! Why should these two be any different?!

Looks like from the few pictures that Emi is having a blast there with her new brother and sister. I'm sure Nate will be fine. Emi hasn't been the baby for a while. Now neither is Nate. They are both great though and will be right back to thier normal selves before no time!

Can't wait to hear more bout your trip and your family of six!!

Love and prayers!

Anonymous said...

So happy you finally have your children with you! I will be praying for all of you to adjust to each other smoothly. God hasn't disappointed you yet, and I know He won't now!

I can finally breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that everything is going well so far!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers all day! Can't wait to see what happens today!

Love all of you!
Joanna

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family you have! I was so glad to see your blog this morning. You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday.

Jessica and Joaquin look like they are adjusting well. They are fortunate to have such wonderful parents and siblings.

I hope today and every day is as incredible as yesterday, but much less stressful and tiring!

Nate and Emi - you two will be the best big brother and sister any child could hope to have.

Sending Love and Prayers,
Margie Geisler

Anonymous said...

OK, so thanks a lot for smearing my mascara this morning. I've been on emotional overload lately and this morning finally did me in - AGAIN! Even though I got to see them and talk to them last night, I'm dying to get down there and hold them!

Emi & Nate - I'm so proud of you for being such great kids....and I'm proud to be your Aunt!

Jess & Joaquin - Eres muy hermosos! No peudo esperar para encontrarte!

Fun fact - Today's Spanish word of the day is 'tranquilo' - how appropriate!

Te Quiero,
Tia Jeanie

Laura S said...

Congratulations! Sounds like the day went very well overall. When you get home you really ought to convert your blog into a book for the kids. I think it would be a really treasure for all of your kids when they grow up. Let me know if you want to hear more about how I did ours for Mateo. It was really pretty simple.

Jenn said...

Oh Beth, I'm speechless. All during the prayer chat I kept wondering about your day. Still praying for you and waiting on the edge of my seat for updates.

Sending lots of hugs to you all.

Dios te bendiga!
jenn

Boyacheks said...

I am so glad to hear that things went well for you guys! I checked your blog several times waiting for you to post :) I can't wait to meet you guys! Maybe this Sunday we can meet up!!!
Jaime

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Congrats! They are beautiful! Looks like Emi is going to be a great big sis! Nate will be an awesome big bro, too! Congrats, again, and keep the posts coming!!! Enjoy yourselves while in Bogota!

The Jensen Family said...

I spent much of the day yesterday being a blog stalker wondering how things were going. It's such an invigorating feeling knowing that dreams are coming true for another family. Reading your blog this morning stirred up so many emotions. . . I can only imagine what you must be going through! What an overwhelming, memorable day for your whole family. Jessica and Joaquin are gorgeous children, and I know Emi and Nate must be proud siblings. Congrats to your family of 6!

Traci

Erin said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Your post on the orphanage was touching and made me cry, but I am so glad you shared that. Have a great day becoming a family!

Lean & Green Mama said...

Congratulations Hollis Family of 6!

Thanks for sharing about your presentation day. The children are beautiful, and sound like they are taking to you all well already! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures together!

PS - Our kids just LOVED brushing their teeth too...AND flossing!

Jennifer said...

Congrats!! I'm SOOO excited for you guys. They look so adorable! I waited until late last night to see if you would post pictures, but ended up going to bed & finding them this AM!

David is a trip!! He cracked me up when I was there. Lucia will do an amazing job getting everything provided for you.

Enjoy your days together!! I'll keep checking in :-)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Emi! You got my tiger yet?

RawrRawrRawr!

See you in May!

Unknown said...

Wow! Awesome! Congrats! and many blessings to you! I felt like a blog stalker yesterday too.. i don't know how many times I checked and even before I went to bed.. then I was so full of emotion this morning as I read the post!! So excited for you all and so proud your family. God has worked it all out and blessings just keep pouring on your family.. that is a totaly amazing God! Emi and Nate, you are amazing Jessica and Joaquin is truly blessed to have such wonderful siblings. Beth and Eric you are two God loving parents so full of love. All of your children are blessed.

enjoy your new family of 6 and we look forward to the next post..

Anonymous said...

hi emi its shelby i got my e-mail addres(satman1304@fus.net)everyone says hi i miss you so much adam says he wants his monkey. 2day is april 15 we just got our penpall letters back.tyler says hi,well iv got to go byyyyyyy

rawrrawrrawr

love
barbie
(shelby)

Anonymous said...

I think I checked the blog 10 times yesterday, looking to see how it all went and I was happy today to read all the events that have happened. I will admit that I was a bit weepy eyed while reading as I am just overjoyed for you! The kids are beautiful and make a great addition to your wonderful family. Congratulations Hollis family!

Amy Nakel

Unknown said...

Dear Emilee, this is for wed. april l6. have a great day and enjoy your time with dad. i know you will enjoy your mickey d's lunch. do something really crazy today and laugh your head off. let me know what silly thing you did. see if you can get nate by surprise with something he doesn't expect.like a big hug and kiss . maybe something nice like a special treat and special card. use your imagination.love ya mimi

D and Moni said...

Oh my goodness, they are just precious!!! I just love how you explain in such great detail how the kids are doing, including your biological children. It's so sweet to see their point of view. The toothbrushing thing is a hoot and so is the microwave phenomenon. How funny, I can't wait to hear all the other details. Sounds like you are connecting very well! Emi and Nate are just adorable, well behaved, and thoughtful children...you must be so proud! I am enjoying learning more about them as well as your two new additions. I have kept you in my prayers and will continue to. Congratulations Mami and Papi!!!

Anonymous said...

hey emi its jessie! im so glad you're having fun with the kids. tell your family i said hi! bye!!

jessie

p.s rawr,rawr,rawr :)