Saturday, April 12, 2008

Children's Vision International Visit

It was an eye opening for experience for Emi and Nate as expected. They were pretty quiet the whole time. We didn’t stay as long as I thought we would, but we didn’t want to put Emi and Nate on overlaod. Remember these kids can not be adopted and the orphanage is in a part of town you would not go to by yourself. Andres and another driver went with us.

The kids were so precious and sweet and basically bilingual. One of the goals of the school attached with this orphanage is to teach English so these kids can go farther in life. This place is amazing. I would go back in a heartbeat! What you see on the surface is not so pleasing to the eye, but what’s inside is bursting with love, education, and quite simply, full of Jesus. I kept thinking, my mom would freak if she were here. I would never get her out of this place. I just wanted to sit on the floor and play with them, hug them and love on them. But the kids were so happy and full of joy that you couldn’t help but feel the love of Jesus.

When we asked Emilee what she thought she didn’t have much to say. I think it just needed some time to sink in. After thinking about it she said “I didn’t realize kids lived like that. I understand what an orphanage is but didn’t realize how they really take care of themselves a lot.” “I’m glad we went because I have a feeling of how Jessica and Joaquin have lived for the past 3 ½ years.”

Nate then said, “I am glad we went and now I know how some kids live. It makes me happy the kids have a place to live but it also makes me sad because they don’t really have a home and an actual family to love just them.”

We didn’t get pics of the kids with the items we took, just general pics of the place and some of the kids. I don’t have any pics of the 3 - 5 yr olds because they were leaving for a park as we were coming in and I didn’t have the camera ready. But there were a ton of them and their little dirty faces were precious.

There are 90 kids that live at the orphanage, but they serve 150 on a daily basis with food and schooling. They have 3 houses now and are in process of building a new school which is going to be awesome. We went with the architect who walked us through the construction site. The kids range from 5 mts to 18 years. They teach the older kids to become leaders for the younger children. The young girls, starting at 8, learn to cook and clean and keep house. While we were there the girls had cooked a special meal and invited some of the boys to their house for a meal. It was cute.

When we left I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on Jessica and Joaquin.

View from Children's Vision International - this should explain what kind of area we were in

Baby play room

School yard - attached to the living quarters


One of the boy rooms

Boys hang out room
Time to eat

Girls in the game room
Girls Showers


And the newest addtition, a 5 mt old baby girl, dropped on the doorstep, no records attached, no hope of a forever family-she will not be able to be adopted

9 comments:

Boyacheks said...

What a neat experience you guys had today. Those children are so precious. If you can say, why are they not allowed to be adopted?
Praying you guys get settled in tomorrow and get prepared to meet your Colombian Jewels!
Jaime

The Jensen Family said...

Touching experience for all to go through. I got emotional looking at all of the pictures and counted my lucky starts to be as privileged as God has allowed. Thank you for sharing this very emotional, personal part of your trip. Why can't the kids in the orphanage be adopted? Can't wait for Monday!

Traci

David and Sheila Derr said...

Beth, thank you for taking the time to share this part of your journey...the detail in your posts is wonderful! It is a reminder of those, around the world, who struggle day in and out just to have the very basic things we count for granted. May God continue to bless this home in the work they are doing in parenting so many children!

May today also be filled with much rest, time with each other, and expectation of meeting your children tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking all the supplies and books to these children. You can see the love in their faces. And the baby - couldn't you just put her in your purse and bring her home? She is absolutely beautiful!

I'm glad you posted pictures of the orphanage. It really makes us appreciate even more all that we have.

I can't wait until tomorrow! I will be checking your blog from school watching for updates and pictures.

Heidi said...

Wow! Thanks for posting with such great detail. So many precious children. What you did for them was great. I think you've also done something special for your children as well. This is an experience they will never forget.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

OK I know you said the little baby is not able to be adopted but could you hide her in your carry on and bring her home to ME...
just kidding my heart goes out to those children... Keep up the good work.
T

D and Moni said...

What an awesome experience for you and your kids. I bet it really made you feel good about carrying all those heavy suit cases all the way to Colombia with you! I think what you have done in spearheading this task, was nothing short of amazing! In the law of sowing and reaping, I just know you will be blessed...not only with your new additions, but in ways you can't even imagine here on earth. I am proud of what you and your family have done for others!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

buy valium valium effects yahoo - valium thai pharmacy