Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SENTENCIA!!!

Yes, it’s true, we are supposed to sign our final decree papers tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. Lucia is going to call in the morning to confirm a time. Eric leaves early in the morning for the airport and my sister is making plans to come in the next few days. We still don’t plan to be home until next Friday, but we’ll see. Because the kids were not born in Bogota we will have to wait a few extra days for their birth certificates to be changed in their birth cities and then be sent to Bogota. Jessica and Joaquin were born in two different cities, but were found in Bogota when the government took them in, so that’s why the adoption process actually happens here. BUT we also have two holidays, Thursday and Monday, so we basically have 5 days of nothing happening. We will see what Lucia says about the turn around time in the birth cities, apparently they have connections and we hope for a quick turn around. I tell you CHI has connections. Today when we went to the notary with David for Eric to sign his last paper, there was a line out the door and David took Eric right to the front of the line like he owned the place. Now that’s service!

We spent the morning hanging out around the casa. The kids had an English lesson at 11 and had a great time. Joaquin came down the steps giving me a thumbs up and a big grin when it was over. They will meet again at 9 am on Friday.


After lunch we met David to go to the notary and to get the passport and visa photos of the kids. We explained what the photos were for and Joaquin happily complied to have his pic taken. Once it was over he said can we go to the US now? Then we stopped at Maku to pick up a few last minute items so I don’t have to really do any shopping after Eric leaves tmw. They kept asking if what we were buying was for our house in the US or for our family in the US. They're getting just a little excited.

Then we had another cooking lesson here at Zuetana. It was some kind of soup that I can’t spell, but I have the recipe. And the kids made something too, I have no idea what it was, but it was very yummy, kind of sweet and easy to make. A new family came to the other Zuetana so they had a small party for her and her family at our house, since that’s were everyone was for the cooking lesson. Several families have gotten Sentencia so they kind of celebrated that too. We are hoping Peggy and Sofia get Sentencia by the end of the week, then maybe we will be on the same flight to Atlanta. That would be really cool.

Before we went to bed we explained to the kids that daddy would be getting up really early to fly home to the US and that we would have to stay for about one more week. I was really proud of all of the kids, no tears, no fits just lots of I love You. I am going to make the kids a count down after I talk to Lucia tmw and get a more clear idea of what she thinks the turn around time is with the holidays and all. I think it will help them to have a visual of how many days we think are left. They are so excited to go. Tonight, when we were giving kisses, Joaquin said, very clearly in English, I Love You! Then Jessica chimed in and wanted to count in English too. They are proud of themselves for the little bit of English they have learned, and very well should be. I am truly amazed at what they have learned so far and am astonished at how far they have come. I am expecting tomorrow they will be a bit whiney and there may be some tears, but we will just take it easy and see how it goes. They may surprise me. The last few days I have thought about the plane ride and dreaded it, but today I changed my mind. They are really looking forward to going and in watching their behavior I have a peace about it all. I really can’t explain it, but they are amazing, very smart little kiddos.

The owners stopped buy about 9 tonight just to tell Eric goodbye. They really like him and made sure he had their email address and told him to remember he will always have friends in Colombia. This place really goes out of thier way to take care of you, I guess that's why we pay what we do to stay here.

Joaquin and Emi got along fine today, woohoo, and Jessica and Emi are doing better everyday.

Oh and tonight Joaquin said he wanted to go to college to be a doctor…very impressive.

Sorry, not so many pics today.
And I felt a great deal better, thanks for your prayers.

Lucia is with us on this pic. We are wearing our shirts Uncle Brian had made. On the back of each shirt it says, “A Family is Made with Love”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Nate....El Mariachi was DELICIOSO!! I think I ate enough so that you won't need to go there for quite a while!!

YIPPE on Sentencia! Can't wait to get down there and see you all!!

Te Quiero,
Tia Jeanie

Juniper said...

I am so excited for you all! I hope that Sentencia comes quickly and goes smoothly!

You will have to let us all know that Eric makes it home safely. I am praying for a safe flight and landing.

I hope the kids have a good day tmr. It will be a big day for them in a way. The first day there without Daddy around. I'm sure they will all be fine though. Emi and Nate are great...and it sounds like Jessica and Joaquin are falling in that same line too.

I love the pic of the family with Lucia. I am glad that you are feeling better. Hopefully no one else feels icky too.

Love and Prayers!
Hugs!!

C. Eric Hollis said...

It is different being on this side of the blog. As I am writting this I have just kissed each one of you and prayed a blessing over you. I am in the lobby waiting on my ride to the airport and drinking coffee. I love you all and will prepare the home for your return (and first arrival). You will have God´s favor and will return home soon. God is with you and angels are encamped around you. Remember You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. - Phillipians 4:13

Unknown said...

Sentencia Day-Alleluia
Can't wait to see Eric tonight and have one piece of the Hollis family home.
The pic with Lucia is super. The shirts were a perfect idea and made for a great family picture. Anxious to hear how today pans out. I know God will extend special grace and blessings. I can't wait to hear Jessica and Joaquin say i love you in english. Emi and Nate you are real troopers and I'm so proud that you are my grandkids. My arms are aching to hold all of you. Talk later to all of you. Bunches of Love, Hugs & Kisses, Mimi

Anonymous said...

NATE!! I don't think there is any food left for you at El Mariachi's, your Aunt Jeanie ate it all! Well maybe that's not completly true, but we did eat a lot of chips and salsa!!
Glad to hear everyone is adjusting and that Sentencia is today!
Each morning I get to work and open my emails and then come straight here, I'm addicted to reading about what you are doing and the neat things you are experiencing! Thanks for sharing this journey with us!
Eric--thanks for getting my makeup messy first thing this morning!

Take Care!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Eric - I pray you have a safe flight! Please let me know if you need anything while you are home preparing for your families arrival. I'll have the coffee pot ready for you! :)

I will pray for quick paperwork in Columbia!

Beth - We will send up lots of extra prayers for you and the kids. It sounds like they are all doing a wonderful job. You are fortunate to have such easy-going children. It is a sign of wonderful parenting and the hand of God.

I can't wait to meet your children. When you return, I have a school yearbook for both Jessica and Joaquin so they can look at the other students and teachers to get familiar with everyone.

Love and Prayers,
Margie

Unknown said...

Still praying for your family and will continue as some changes are taking place. Praying God has his hand in it all and the kids do adjust to daddy not being there. It will be interesting to see their reactions and behavior, really praying for you Beth, glad you sister is going to get to come to help you out.. that will be a great relief for you.
Praying for a quick and smooth sentencia. God is still in control amen?
Beth Glad you are feeling better.. it is hard enough being sick and not feeling well, but to be away from home makes it even harder.. God bless you for being a trooper

Eric praying for a safe flight, that was different seeing you post from the other side, blessings on you and God's protection surround you as you take journey home to the states.

The family pictures are getting better and better. All the pictures are just awesome.

Emi and Nate, you both are such blessings.. there has been some life changing moments in your life and you all still remain smiling. God bless you both!!

Jessica and Joaquin can't wait to meet the both of you.. You both have come so far.. God's blessings on you as well.

Beth, my Nate is so excited to meet Jessica and Joaquin, he is praying hard that Jessica will be in the second grade with him. He asks often if they are coming home today? :)

Emi I know Ashley misses you a bunch and has been praying for you. She can't wait to see you and meet your new siblings..

love to you all
the potter family

Sherri said...

YEAH SENTENCIA! So happy for you guys. Looking forward to finding out your final timeline. I'm glad you are having some great progress with the kids. If you think about all they have been through they're doing very well. So are you guys, it takes effort and you're coming through! Emi and Nate are an awesome big sister and brother. I've seen them grow a lot in the past couple weeks. Even though I've never met them I am proud of them and of their mami and papi. I for one am looking forward to having two more gorgeous Colombian children join our country, and especially our "Yahoo girl" family. As always we're praying, especially now that Eric is gone.

Love,
Sherri

Jennifer said...

Woo-hoo!! Yea for Sentencia!! CHI really does have connections.... that Lucia can move mountains (of paperwork!)
Will pray that your paperwork goes smoothly & the end of the process goes quickly! Congrats! You are a beautiful family!!

Jennifer

Ruth Ann Craven said...

Wow, sentencia already?? We're a teeny bit jealous, but sooooo happy for you!!!!! :) Congratulations, that's such great news! We're so glad we got a chance to meet you, and please let us know whenever you make it down to TN. We'd love to see you. GO VOLS!!

Steven, Ruth Ann, & Anna Marie Craven