Thursday, April 24, 2008

Making the best of a rainy day

We woke up to rain today. The first rainy day since we have been here, not to bad for this to be the rainy month. Our activities director asked us if we still wanted to make the trip to Monserrate and we decided to go for it. The weather can change on a dime so we hoped it may quit raining, but it didn’t. The drive to and from was great, it was interesting to see the various types of housing and buildings, I didn’t get any pics because all you could see through the camera were the raindrops on the windows in the taxi. But I definitely recommend anyone coming to Bogota to go to Monserrate. The train going up was out of order. Originally we planned to take a train up the mountain and the cable car back down. Now, I like roller coasters, I’m not afraid of heights, I love to fly, but the trek up the mountian got to me a bit. I had a few butterflies, but Jessica loved it. Coming down I was fine, but the going straight up to the hightest point in Bogota was a bit, well, scary. Yes, Monserrate is the highest point in Bogota, at least that’s what our taxi driver told us. There is a beautiful church there, a small market, a few restaurants, beautiful gardens and an awesome view of the whole city. Because of the rain our pics of the city didn’t turn out as good as I would have liked, but it was still worth the trip.








Once we left the mountain top we asked the taxi driver to take us to Archie’s Pizza. On the way Joaquin fell asleep. As he was starting to wake up he mumbled something and then clearly said “United States?” (In Spanish of course). We have no idea what he said, but obviously he was dreaming about something in the US.

I highly recommend Archie’s too. It was great fun for the kids and the food was awesome. You can let the kids make their very own pizza. They let the kids kneed the dough and did some fun stuff with them. They let the kids put all the toppings on and then bake it and bring it to the table. It’s really a lot of fun. Jessica and Joaquin had a ball. Most decent restaurants have a security guard. We were sitting near the door by the guard and Joaquin asked the guy if he would show us his gun. Oh boy! Luckily the guard didn’t show us.






I was telling Emilee at the restaurant that Jessica and Joaquin have no idea how a restaurant works. We just take so much for granted. Kids who come from foster families understand but kids from an orphanage, well every experience is so new. I guess restaurant behavior wasn’t something I had thought about. It’s not a big deal, just something I hadn’t thought about. They didn’t understand why we had to wait around when we were finished eating. We had to explain they had to bring the check and we had to wait so we could pay, then we could leave. And also you can’t have more of something when you eat it all, you only get what’s on your plate, not like at home.

Emi and Nate had a good time today bowling with dad and the group of folks from the Zuetana houses.



Jessica and Joaquin are doing wonderful, we are all gelling just fine and are feeling like a family. It a wonderful feeling. Today Joaquin fell off the bed, he didn’t cry, but I picked him up and put him on my lap and he just cuddled up. My heart melted and about that time Jessica looked at me and held up her hand with the I Love You sign and said te queiro (I love you). Ahh…A perfect mami moment.

Another suggestion for those of you preparing to travel, it’s worked well for us so far, is to pull out new toys every so many days. It helps to give them something new to do because you kind of get in a rut with the same ol’ stuff at the B&Bs. Balloons have been great, a beach ball, color wonder, silly putty, and other light weight things. They think it’s great to have something new every so often. And they definitely love the videos of the house, animals at home and other things we taped.

Oh I forgot to mention that we got a new French family here. Guess who? The little boy from their orphanage we spoke of the other day that they saw during our interrogation. As soon as he got here Jessica and Joaquin had to come in the cabin and grab several of their new things and show Johan, the little boy. They were really excited to see him and play with him. Very Cute.

Dad, Jeanie, Brian and Brandon, I am sorry to say that Joaquin refuses to wear his camo pants I brought him. His is not picky with his clothes, but he refuses to wear his camo pants. I am not sure why. I don’t know if it’s because they see military people in camo all the time here or what. People here don’t wear camo like we do in Harrison, so Joaquin will have to learn. I don’t think there is any thing cuter than a little guy in camo. I’ll have to work on that one when we get back to the states, it’s not a battle I want to fight here.

One more note, Jessica asked to watch Shrek in English today. Nate was so excited! She has it memorized in Spanish, I guess she needs a challenge…smile.

A few folks at the other Zuetana have lice, glad we are at this one!!

More tomorrow, again thanks for all the comments and prayers, we love you all!

Nate and Jess playing with Color Wonder


Of course the boys had to potty while we were out. This time it was 800 pesos a flush, here they are coming out of the pay to pee bathroom

And if you are a boy and you don't want to pay to pee, well you could always use the urinals out in the open for all to see...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Beth, You won't have a fight about the camo pants when he sees all of us in them. He'll want to be just like the rest of the family & probably even want to learn how to hunt wih us. Your pics were precious & it seems they are growing closer every day to all of you.I cant wait for me & mom to get our hands on them & show them how much we love them already. Miss you all so much. Tell Eric I can't wait to have a cup of Colombian coffee with him. Love Dad & Mom

Anonymous said...

Joaquin is just waiting for me to get there before he can wear his camos! I'll bring mine along when I come down since him and I are going to be wrestling anyway....my little muchacho loco is in for it since he won't talk to me on the webcam!

Loving all the pictures - some of my favorites are Joaquin struttin' his moves, Nate with the coffee, Jess on the carousel, and Emi thinking she's at the spa. Oh yeah - and the one of all 4 kids together....I've been waiting for that one!! I know it's a pain and a lot of work for you, but everyone back home really appreciates it! And as you know it's ALL about us and what we want!! =)

Good talking to you tonight, it had been a while. We're going out of town this weekend, so I'll be having webcam and blog withdrawal! Oh yeah, Maddie was wanting to talk to Emi tonight, but ya'll were at dinner and it was her bedtime....maybe we'll try tomorrow. Also, Matt went back to give the girls a kiss before he went to bed (they were already asleep), and they were curled up together in Maddie's bed....first time they've done that - it was cute!

Gotta wrap up some more work now then hit the sack....it's been a long week!

Love ya's!

Anonymous said...

We look forward to reading your blog everyday and I want you to know how much we love all of you. It looks like you had a great time at the pizza place and I bet Monsarrate was beautiful. The dogs are fine but Jazz keeps losing her collar. Love Aunt Jo and Uncle Bud

Jennifer said...

Hey there - glad to see everything is going so well.
I laughed at the camo post - Nataly wouldn't wear it for the longest time - even if it was pink or had flowers with it. She just kept saying "Policia". She likes it now, though.

We watched Shrek 2 at least 100 times over there in Spanish. We would put on the English subtitles (so it wouldn't drive my mom completely crazy). Finally, we merged to English language.

Keep posting! We are loving it!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I haven't been commenting lately, but I haven't skipped a day of reading your blog! I'm so happy to hear that all of you are feeling more at ease with one another. I know it has to be a relief for you, too.

I may not be family, but I still love you all very much and love hearing of every detail!

I'll keep praying for you! Keep your spirits up!

Love,
Joanna

Juniper said...

It is awesome to see how much things have changed in the time that you have all been there. I am really glad to hear that Jessica and Joaquin are ajusting so well. I know there were some stressful days, but it seems that things are moving along much better now.

Sorry that it rained on your day to the top of the mountain. I'm glad that you had a good time anyway.

Thanks for all of the pics. They are AWESOME! It is nice to hear your every detail of the day and then get to see what you are talking bout through the pics. (For those of us "visual" readers. lol) My favs are the ones of all of you guys together. Plus all of your kids have such infectious smiles! :0)

Keep your chin up...sounds like things are great. You have many people praying for you.

I look forward to your blogs every day!

Love and prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics of the kids with flour on their faces. Is there anything more precious? And what about the awesome looking dessert - did Nate share it with Emi? I see he has the spoon. :)

I can only imagine how beautiful the view is from the mountain top. The pictures look incredible!

Glad to hear the kid's friend is staying at the same place. That will be fun!

What a Mami moment you got yesterday! I'll bet your heart just melted. With every day's blog, we can all see how your family is bonding.

Love and Prayers,
Margie

Unknown said...

Hey guys, Brandon is here viewing your blog with me. Brandon says his favorite pic is Joaquin doing the hand stand. He says HI NATE, and what level are you on in the worlds hardest game? He says HI Emilee and Jessica, he misses you guys. Yesterday Brandon went to work with his Dad and they made crafts,watched videos about the jets they make and met a pilot. Bailey also went and they had a good time. As usual I love the pics and all the happy smiles. Hope we get some good news today about the court date. Talk later Bunches of hugs,love and kisses. Mimi & Papa

Erin said...

Cute pictures today!

Anonymous said...

Buenos dias. Como estas? Te quieramos! Ok, enough of that Spanish crap, let's talk some English! So if you haven't guessed it's Uncle Brian. So I'm having withdraw b/c we were talking the other nite and you had to rush off to beat the kid's butts for using all your shampoo. You left EJ in charge of the puter and next thing I know, you never got back on. So I'm not feel'n the love. But that's ok b/c it sounds like you're getting your pay backs now w/thos little rascals. Ha, ha :-)

How ironic that Nate is the one asking, "What am I suppose to do with him"? Isn't that what all of us have been saying about him the last 10 years? Maybe he's getting a taste of his own medicine now! LOL So Nate, did you try the "hand in the cold water" trick on Joaquin yet? Let me know how that goes! Also, I found it interesting that there weren't any pics of you making a pizza. I'm guessing that you ate all the ingredients before you could bake it!!!

EJ, I just wanted to let you know that I called to talk to your teacher and nobody in your class even mentioned you. I'm pretty sure they've forgotten all about you by now. See, I told you that you really didn't have any friends. When are you going to start listening to me? But don't worry, it will be ok. I still love you know matter what. Have a good day kiddo.

Jess, I'm so proud of you and how you are adjusting. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see ya. Mommy and daddy love you very much and I'm so glad to see how hard you're working to be a good girl for them.

Joaquin, I love the picture of you sneaking out the window. Keep mom and dad on their toes b/c Nate's definitely slippy a bit! Also, the next time you take a shower, get a cold cup of water and throw it on Nate....then don't let him get in the warm water! See how he likes that one!

Ok guys, I hope you all have a good day and the next time you go to the market pick me up a soccer jersey if you come across one. I'll give ya the money when you get back! I'd send it w/Jeanie to give to ya but I'm sure she'd spend it on beer in a airport bar or something!

Love ya all, Uncle Brian

I'm glad to hear things are going smooth and you're all having a good time. Take in every moment and cherish every second.

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Hi Hollis Family! Glad to hear things are going good. Love the pictures. We went to Archies when we were there and Brian loved it. Unfortunately, we didn't have our camera with us. The kids look like they are really having a great time and happy to be with you. Thanks for the updates.

Unknown said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!
wow.. the picture of the family is just so natural. I have the first picture laying on my desk and i look at the two and there is a huge difference in the two.. this one is your family.. it is natural like God planned. These have been your children from God and it shows.. You can tell they are truly born from the heart!!

Jessica and Joquin I bet that pizza was yummy.. because you all made it.

Emi how did you do bowling?

Nate- what a wonderful big brother willing to go to the bathroom with your lil bro.. different having to pay to go huh? lol :)


the view looks beautiful in the pictures I bet it was breathtaking in person.
So happy you had a good day!!.. it seems to get better and better each day.. Praise God!!

Sarah said...

I have become a fanatical blog stalker with so many CHI families in Colombia! I check your blog several times a day... Just wanted to check in and say that we continue to pray for you guys!!! You have a beautiful family.

We have so enjoyed reading all your comments and looking through the pictures!! Colombia is beautiful and the kids are so sweet!

We look forward to continuing to keep up with your blog.

Genece said...

The camo post brought back some memories of when we were there. Fabian's backpack was a camo one and just as we were getting ready to meet the kids, I had this thought that perhaps he might not like the camo backpack. I prayed it wouldn't trigger any bad memories being that they lived around areas and villages that had in the past been tortured and suffered displacement by the guerilla forces. Luckily it was okay and Fabian even talks about wanting to join the U.S. military when he's old enough.

Oh, gotta love seeing those pictures from Archies. It was one of the highlights for our kids while there in Bogota! I love seeing the kids' faces when they get to make their own pizza -- just priceless! Thanks for the pics. And we indulged in the same dessert while there! YUMMM! So very rich though!

Beth, we're enjoying all the details of your trip. Nate, don't you just love your mom for snapping off a picture of your paid-for bathroom visit? Well, good thing they give you the flush money, huh?

Enjoy the days ahead. Hopefully you're in a good, fast court!