Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last day as a family of four

Andes Mountains
Today was very enjoyable but all of us are getting very anxious for tomorrow.

First let me answer a few questions noted in the comments. Why can’t the children at Children’s Vision International be adopted? All of the children that are there have not been registered, they have no birth certificate. So to the government they do not exist, they are called the invisible children. Most of them were just dropped on the doorstep or were found left in abandoned buildings or under park benches. The process here to have your birth registered is different than in the states. After giving birth you have to go to a “somewhere” to have the birth registered, and I understand that there is a cost involved to register the child. Some of these folks can’t even afford to eat let alone register their child.

Another question is what time is it here. We are on Central Time. So for you Ohio folks, you are one hour ahead of us.

The weather here is beautiful. It stays between 50 and 70 degrees and so far has been mostly sunny. Apparently it rains here a little everyday, but so far it hasn’t rained since we got here. The evenings are cool and the sun goes down by around 6:00 It’s funny because some folks walk around in jackets and others in short sleeves. The German family here is always cold, but we are fine until evening.

A French family came last night and anther French family is coming later this evening. Luckily the German family speaks some English, the French family knows very little English and very little Spanish. Today we decided not to go on the picnic and to the father son soccer game. We spent the majority of the day walking as our last day as a family of four. Sundays in this area are "ciclovia" which means no cars only bikes and pedestrians on certain roads. The smog lifts and it's much more pleasant to get around without fighting traffic.

The German family staying here has been here for two weeks so they showed us around a bit, showed us the super market, the large mall etc. They showed us to a village that sells authentic Colombian items. We were able to walk to the village, it was safe. The kids, especially Emilee enjoyed it. She thought it was really cool to see all of the Colombian people selling their various forms of art. It was a really long walk, a few miles, but it was worth it. The kids feet were hurting so I’m not sure if we will get them to go back again. It’s only open on Sundays.

On our way to the market
Diro was tired of walking and we weren't even there yet, so Nate gave him a ride

Just before we got to the market we went into a mall of sorts to go to the bathroom. Luckily I had seen on a blog once, that you get the toilet paper before you enter the stall. So I looked when we went in and sure enough the TP was out by the sink. So I told Emi to grab some paper before she went in. You should have seen her face. The toilet did not have a toilet seat so that was a little odd. When we walked out Emilee looked at me and just said “wow.”

This was a bathroom sign, Colombians are very affectionate but is it really necessary to show that on the el bano sign?

Once again I have to say how proud I am of Emilee and Nate and their Spanish. Emi really wanted to purchase something on her own, she thought the market was really cool. She found a purse she really wanted. So Eric told her how to ask how much it cost and she asked all by herself, in Spanish, and completed the transaction with no help from us. Nate had more fun laughing at everyone staring at him and his red head. Diro the 8 yr old German boy (recently adopted) was with us for part of the time, just because he wanted to hold Nate’s hand or ride on his back.


Of course we spent some money. I bought a few pieces of art that I will frame for home. Emi bought a purse, the Colombian flag colors. Nate has always been fascinated by rocks, stones of sorts, so he bought an “obelisco tallada en agata”, it’s a really cool looking piece. I bought a child’s CD in Spanish and Eric bought me earrings and a pendant with beautiful emeralds in them from a jewelry store. Most of the worlds emeralds come from Colombia so I couldn’t leave here without an emerald. Plus the emerald is my birthstone.

The art I purchasedNate's "stone"
The kids experienced a little girl coming up and asking me for money, they couldn’t believe it. I was standing outside of the ice cream store while dad bought ice cream and this little girl wouldn’t leave my side and kept asking me for money.

We lathered up with sunscreen before we left and none of us are burnt today. Woohoo!

Also the B&B is going to have a mini party of us when we get back with the kids tmw and are going to help us get a cake and stuff for Joaquin's birthday on Thursday. Just down one block from us we saw a little party store that has birthday decorations. So will have to hit that store sometime before Thursday.

Staying her at the B&B are one French family is adopting a 4 mt old girl, they meet her tmw and another French family adopting a 5 yr old boy…If I understood them correctly. The German family adopted an 8 yr old boy named Diro. He has really taken to Nate. His two older brothers seem to pay no attention to him and his parents say he has moped around until Nate got here. Nate is having a ball playing with Diro. Emi is just excited to be able to get on line any time she wants in the lobby on the PC. She is staying in touch with her friends and is happy. We are doing great. Everyone is sleeping well and the food here is awesome. The kids love the fresh fruit. My favorite so far is mango, it tastes like peaches. I don't ask what stuff is, I just eat it. If I knew what it was I may not want to try it...hee hee. Like the soup last night, it was good, but i have no idea what it was. Today soup at lunch was cob soup but it tasted and looked like potato soup. The juice was lulu juice, no idea what that was but it was good, it was a real rich tasting juice, the kids were not so fond of it. We ask after we eat what the various foods are.

We were told it may take a few days to acclimate to the altitude here in Bogota. We are 8500 feet above sea level. Emi, Nate, and I have had no trouble, but Eric came down with a cold just before we left so it’s not been quite so easy for him. He was hitting his inhaler the first 24 hours but is doing better now. Eric’s purchase today was some kind of smelly (herb and oils),aromatic, therapeutic heating pad that can be microwaved or frozen. Emi said it probably has drugs in it and he will not get through airport security.

Okay well it’s time to get things ready for tmw, life will be very different next time you hear from us.

At the Market

19 comments:

Jacq & Jason said...

Hey Beth! I am so glad you made it safely. I think I speak for all of us when I tell you we will be praying for your family all day tomorrow. I can't wait to read your next blog!
Jacq

Anonymous said...

So is that a male or female bathroom?!?!

Anonymous said...

Just curious - did you purchase anything from the booth at the market with the pig's head on the table?

Margie

The Jensen Family said...

It's hard to believe it is your last day as a family of four. Glad to hear everyone is doing well and it sounds like you had a great day. Question about food: do they have much in the way of more common American-like food for the kids? I heard from some that PB&J, grilled cheeses, etc., are things you can get form the B&B's. Maybe Emi and Nate aren't picky but I am worried about our son when we travel as his palate isn't real diverse! Anyway, I hope you guys get a good night's sleep. Those anxious hearts and minds may make it tough! Looking forward to this time tomorrow! May God bless your union to be one of great excitement, comfort and success!

Traci

Genece said...

Beth,
Lovin' hearing about your travels in and around Bogota. We didn't get to see nearly as much as I had hoped to see of Bogota, but then we were in extreme panic hurrying to getting out of there before Christmas. I'm really enjoying experiencing it alongside your family! Thank you for being so thorough with your reports, and thanks for posting so many pictures. My prayers are with your family as you make way for the 2 lovely additions to your family tomorrow. May life be filled with so many blessings tomorrow! Enjoy!
Love, Genece

Genece said...

Oh and I enjoyed the bathroom signage. Still scratching my head on that one. Oooh La La... sort of risque... just too many crazy thoughts are entertained with a sign like that? Extremely different.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you are sharing! I feel like I'm right there going through everything with you. I will be praying for ya'll tmw as you meet your new children/siblings! God has been wonderful so far...no reason to think He won't be tmw, too! Can't wait to read tmw's blog! Love all of you!

Anonymous said...

Ok...that last comment was supposed to be from me :)

Joanna

Anonymous said...

Yeah,the bathroom thing is a little weird!!! But funny!!! I can't wait to see pics of you guys with your Colombian Jewels...I'm so anxious to get down there!!!

Dan and Karen said...

Glad you had a good last day as a family of 4. Tomorrow will be an unforgettable day for all of you. While I don't think you can ever imagine what it will be like and you can't imagine what you will say and do - when the time comes to meet them it will just come naturally and suddenly you won't be able to remember how it was before they came into your family. Praying for a wonderful first day for all of you.
Karen

Juniper said...

I cant' believe that tmr is the big day!!! How exciting. I'm sure that all of your minds are racing and wondering what it will be like. I can't wait to hear all about it on your next post.

BTW - I didn't get to check my computer for less than 24 hours and there were like 5 posts for me to catch up on! tee hee! I love it though!

I can't wait to see the pictures of your new additions and as a family of SIX!

I am glad that you all have had such a wonderful experience so far, and got to enjoy your last Sunday as a family of four.

Many thoughts and prayers heading your way as you get your "babies" tmr. Luv ya!

Sherri said...

I was thinking of you, it's almost 10 here, and almost 9 there! Woo-hoo! Praying for a wonderful day. And by the way I loved all the market pictures, I felt like I was back there. And quite jealous that you're feasting on lulo juice, my favorite.

Love,
Sherri

Can't wait for the next post! Although I know it can be busy and tiresome, so I for one will understand if you can't post as much as you have been. Just as long as there are pictures :)

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO EMILEE...!!!
TINA

Lean & Green Mama said...

It was cool seeing pics of so many familiar places! Wasn't that long ago that we explored the market, walked down the streets in your photos, and were baffled by things like TP outside of the stalls and bicycle Sundays! How fun!

As I type you are probably just with your new children - Congrats!

Holly

Unknown said...

What different pictures we have seen :)lol I am with many of the others not sure how to take that bathroom sign. ??
The pigs head.. wow.. Ashley and I said at the same time.. its a pigs head.. lol
We are enjoying all the post, pictures and the excitment with you. I am sure as I am typing you are with your new Children/siblings.. they are getting many hugs kisses and much love. Can't wait to see your next post.
Way to go Emi! that was very sweet of Nate to lend his back to the tired little guys feet. :)
the ice cream looked good too! yum yum

excited to here from you soon

the potter family

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth!

I am loving reading about your time down there and I can't wait for you to get your children! It's Monday now so I can only imagine what you guys are doing. Thanks for keeping such a detailed blog, it's so touching to read and really opens your eyes to so much more. I'm saying prayers for you all and I can't wait to hear about Tia Jeanie's time down there when she gets there!

Amy Nakel

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Beth, by now, you've met your jewels! I can't wait to read your next post!!! Waiting...Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nate being in another country must be amazing. I can tell by the pictures your enjoying every minute of Colombia.
Your Friend,
Amber

Anonymous said...

THATS WEARD...