Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My thoughts and lot of photos!

Today was like a breath of fresh air. Everyone woke up and was in much better spirits.

It’s been interesting to observe the other families here. The German family has been here for a few weeks and seems to be a bit stressed today. They are ready to go home. Nate started calling the French family here the “Frenchies“, which makes me laugh every time he says it. He has become friends with Jan(Yan) from Germany who is 11. They play games on the computer together a lot.

We unplugged the microwave today, jut to keep the kids out of it. They were constantly wanting to heat stuff up. They are fascinated with water bottles and carry them everywhere but they were always wanting to fill up the bottles with the faucet water, which we can’t drink. So one of the staff ladies showed them how to fill their bottles from the water dispenser on the fridge, which is water they can drink. This will save us a lot of money in bottled water.

Jessica and Joaquin wouldn’t say Nate’s name much. The pronunciation is hard for everyone here. They all call him Nasan. But today Joaquin said Nate’s name several times and asked him to come out and play futbol with him. Joaquin was very proud of his new shoes. He had to go show all the other little boys here at the B&B. Then he had to take out his “CARS” pajamas to show them too. After that he showed them his and Jessica’s bears that Mimi and Papa gave them, and so on.

Jessica has been attached to Eric at the hip. She follows him everywhere he goes. Although she is still very affectionate with me she definitely prefers her Papi. She was very whiny today. She whines often when she wants something, it’s more just a tone of voice when she requests to do something or if she wants something. No tears, just whiny. We started telling her that she has to use a nice voice and it seems to be helping. We just have to remind her every once in a while. But she was very clingy to Eric this morning, so today when it was time for Eric to take Emi out I was a bit curious as to how Jessica would react. Once Eric and Emilee left, Jessica and Joaquin asked a few times where he was. I told them he was with Emilee and they would be back soon. They accepted my response and went on playing. Not one time did Jessica whine while they were gone. She was perfectly fine playing with me. When they returned it was time for a siesta for Joaquin and down time for Jessica. We let her watch TV softly while Joaquin sleeps. He says he doesn’t want to take a siesta, but falls right to sleep. Joaquin seems much more like a young 4 yr old, but will be 5 tomorrow.

Eric and Emi brought back some chips and soda. What a treat for me, comfort food. Can’t wait till the kids go to bed tonight! Emi picked me up some special chocolates, just for me, but I will share. She had a great time with her daddy and loved seeing McDonalds from another country. (Emilee is typing now) The McDonalds has a delivery, they deliver on motorcycles/mopeds. They have a thing they wear on their backs with an M on it and it keeps things cold and hot. They have all of the same kind of food, but not as many choices. Dad got a Big Mac and I got nuggets. The bathrooms did not have toilet seats on them either, but the toilet paper was in the stall this time. Also the McDonalds was two floors. When we were walking we saw grassy areas between the roads that people go and sit to play there. The roads were full of busses today. Josh and Adam, I still haven’t found the tiger and the monkey, sorry. (End of Emilee typing)

Once Joaquin woke up we took off to a nearby park. It makes for really long days to be in and around the casa for so many hours. We are going to try to do a short outing every afternoon, even if it’s just to the park. The parks here are lovely. The kids had a good time and we got them each and ice cream from a vendor at the park. Of course that was cause for much excitement. Jessica became very whiney again after her ice cream was gone insisting we leave for the casa. I think she gets scared and the casa is comfort to her. It drives Emilee crazy when Jessica whines, she doesn’t quite understand the depth of what’s going on. She knows if she behaved in such a way that she would be in big trouble. We try to explain the reasoning behind what is happening and why we respond the way we do, but she still doesn’t like it. The park was a hit, it’s a pleasant peaceful place.

A few other tid bits…

This morning Jessica was writing on a paper and showed one of the staff ladies here what she wrote. After fixing a few grammatical errors, she told us it said “I love my papi and mami with all of my heart.” She has the sweetest and most ornery expressions and a huge heart. I can’t imagine what is going through their minds. I am very proud of them and how they are dealing with all of this adjustment. Every time Jessica hears an airplane she has to run outside to see it. She knows she is going to fly on one.

Jessica is showing real interest in leaning English. We will tell her what various items are in English and she will repeat them. She has her colors and numbers from 1 - 10 down well. She is a very smart little girl. Joaquin is just going through the motions. Every once in a while I see confusion in his eyes, but he is a happy, silly little man.

Nate was excited to play Wii this evening with Daddy.
Tomorrow is Joaquin’s birthday, so I have to get things wrapped and together for the party. Jessica keeps saying it’s her birthday too and I’ve told her it’s only Joaquin’s birthday but we have regalos (gifts) for her too. Hmmm…we’ll see how that goes.

Emi and Nate have not had much to say about what they are eating. It seems to be mostly chicken made many different ways. When asked to describe it they just say “it’s okay I guess”.

Oh, and Mimi and Mamaw Starla, Emi says to look at the moon every night and she will too.

And I can't believe I forgot to talk aobut our visit to Juan Valdez yesterday. Carmen took us there and treated us to Juan Valdez. We had the most amazing mochachino (spelling, I dunno), and the kids had coffee flavored ice cream and loved it. We are ready to go back. We will be bringing coffee back for sure. Grandpa, I know you're a Folgers kind of guy, but you have to try true Colombian coffee. I will bring you some home.



Here are lots of park photos for you.










The sand box at the park

Emi found a really cool flower and made Nate wear it in his hair on the way back to the casa...this one's for you Mimi.

Time to head home

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Joaquin's sweatshirt. It looks like he's ready for the football team - Go Wildcats!

Nathan - you didn't do the artwork on the wall behind you in the picture, did you?

I am so glad today went smoother. I've thought about you all day.

I bet Eric is enjoying having 2 daddy's girls!

Have a good night's sleep and take lots of birthday photos tomorrow.

Love and Prayers,
Margie

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely addicted to your blog!! I can't wait to check everyday... this whole experience is so amazing! I love all of your tidbits about the differences in cultures :D

Thanks for sharing everything!! Have fun at the birthday party!

Tiffany B.

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Nate, what a cool pic! Lovin' the graffiti pic!!!

And Emi, for those of us in the bloggin world...what's this about a tiger and monkey???

And let me just say when we saw the golden arch, we were instantly reminded of home and couldn't wait for some REAL greasey food!!!

How precious are the things you are sharing about the kids too...that paper will be something you will cherish forever...they seem so full of love...keep up the good work!

Heidi said...

Sounds like you all are doing some fantastic parenting! Am enjoying your blog and all the pictures. Praying each day will just get better and better!

Heidi

Juniper said...

First let me just say that I am glad that today was much smoother than yesterday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOAQUIN!!! :0)

Emi - Thanks for sharing how the McD's over there. It is interesting that it was two levels.

Emi and Nate - I am glad that you both got to spend some one on one time with your daddy! I bet that made for a really nice time!

Beth - Thanks for sharing all of your experiences with us. I definately have been stalking your page everyday...quite a few times a day checking for updates. The pics are great too!

I love sharing in your journey with as your new family! I hope that tmr is great and I can't wait to see pics of Joaquin's birthday!

(Have you guys mentioned anything to Jessica that her papi has to come home before you all can come home? I know she has become really close to him.)

Your family is always in my thoughts and prayers! Luv ya!

Anonymous said...

Yo Nate - you're such a stud! Are you posing in these pictures or are you just naturally guapo?!?!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hola Joaquin,

¡Hoy es tú cumpleaños! ¡Eres cinco años grandes! ¡Espero que tengas un gran día!

¡Feliz cumpleaños!

Te quiero,
Tía Jeanie

Unknown said...

Little Grandma, Happy Birthday Joaquin, your a big 5 now, have a great day celebrating. we love you. Hey Nate your the man with that beautiful flower in your hair, you did a good job on that one Emi. Thank the Lord for the wonderful park, what a nice getaway place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. Em,what a great idea about looking at the moon each night. I can't wait till tonight. It will be special knowing we are looking at the same wonderful moon together in spirit. Keep finding things to make each other laugh. Be happy . Love you all MiMi.

Anonymous said...

Hello Hollis familia! It is so wonderful to see you all becoming a family. I am enjoying reading your blog everyday. I can't wait to met Jessica and Joaquin. Luke keeps asking about Joaquin, probably because he loves saying his name. I hope everyone enjoys the birthday party today!

Regan

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joaquin!!!!! Hello Jessica!!! Melissa the kids and I are so happy for you guys. Nate and Emi look great as well as you and Eric. We can't wait to meet the kids and see you guys. The happiness and love shows thru in the pictures! The Bitner's love that Hollis family! Love, B,M,C,Z

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Happy Birthday Joaquin. I love the graffiti, Nate! Hang in there Emi...Maybe you can show Jessica ways to control her whining?

Anonymous said...

I am soo addicted to your blog!! all this experience is so wonderful for you guys! Can not wait to meet Jessica and Joaquin.

Bet Eric enjoying have two daddy's girl??

Happy Birthday Joaquin!!!

Hope you all guys have a good night and it will get better in each day.

Your family is always in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you guys!!!
Anthony

Anonymous said...

Joaquin, HAPPY BIRTHDAY buddy! I can't wait to teach you all kinds of onery things and how to get EJ in trouble! I hope this is the best birthday ever. We love you.

Jessica, I love the picture of you licking the ice cream, you're sooo cute! We're gonna have to watch the little boys because I'm sure they'll be all over you. And beware of your big sister, don't let her lead you down the wrong path. Oh and don't let her push you around either. I'm sure she's gonna make you clean the bedroom but make her pick her own stuff up unless she's paying you!

Nater Potater, I know you're enjoying spending time with the other kids but don't forget about giving lots of attention to your lil bro'. He's going to look up to you and want to do everything you do, much like Brandon, so make him feel like he's your best friend and you'll build a great relationship.

EJ, I don't have anything to say to you today b/c I just feel like picking on you, as usual. So go clean up your room or something.

This has been so great for everyone to feel involved and to experience all the things you guys are going through. It's also going to be a great way to give Jess and Joaquin a view back into their lives someday. They won't remember many things from their past and this is such a wonderful way for them to relate to their heritage and the things that are shaping their lives even though they don't realize it right now.

Have a great day celebrating Joaquin's birthday. I can't wait for all of us to celebrate together!

Love, Uncle Brian

The Jensen Family said...

ANother fantastic day of coming together. Keep the pictures coming! I absolutely love them. Glad yesterday was a better day for all, and I can't wait to hear about Joaquin's first birthday with you all!

Traci

Jenn said...

I am just thrilled to hear things are going so well for you all today (ummm...yesterday.) I am praying for you guys so much. The next big milestone appointment is Monday, right?

FELIX CUMPLEANOS, JOAQUIN!

peace and blessings to you all!
DIOS TE BENDIGA!

Anonymous said...

hola joaquin
feliz cumpleanos
tia jo
that's all i can say in spanish
mucho love

Anonymous said...

Omg...wow! First I have to say we all miss you Beth but we are so happy that you guys are doing something so great and we are all excited for you. I am finally getting to read all the blogs...I haven't been home very much this week so reading them all in one night is very interesting. I was in Cheryl's office the other day when she was reading them and then I saw the pictures of the kids...they are too cute. Reading what they have been experiencing and reacting to new things is very cool. Especially that they are picking up on things very fast. It is so good to hear that you guys are doing well and you will definitely have to bring all four of the kids to school one time so we all can see them. We miss you but we are glad you guys are doing well. Emi and Nate you guys are the greatest big brother and sister they will ever have. You guys are awesome and they will remember this for ever. Well I can't wait to read more about what is going on. In my thoughts and prayers

Love, Andrea