Monday, April 21, 2008

Interrogation a Success

We woke this morning with wonder in how the day would go. Jessica didn’t want to get out of bed, which is unusual. I think she was just afraid. Once we finally got her to get up she refused to wear her dress. So we let her put on whatever clothes she wanted so she could come to breakfast and eat before we had to leave. She was perfectly happy through breakfast and Eric reiterated to them what today would hold and just what it meant. After breakfast she finally did put on her dress to be dressed up with the rest of us. Joaquin, my little Latino, decided he looked awful handsome in just his white undershirt and slacks. So we took his dress shirt with us in hopes he would get cold and want it on.

When we pulled up to ICBF Jessica was very excited to get out of the car and into the building. Joaquin agreed to put on his shirt, but it only lasted about 2 minutes. He took it back off and gave a little strut to show off his “bad” self. When we walked thru the hallways they both ran straight to the room we met them in, which was not where we were supposed to go. We told them we had to go to a different room, but at that point something caught their eye. We had to pry them away from the window. As it turns out there was a family in that room meeting their little boy, the little boy they knew from La Maria, their orphanage. They were calling his name and wanting to see him. Once the family was finished in the room Jessica and Joaquin called the little boys name and played with him for a few minutes. He was only a little over a year old.

We had to wait our turn for almost an hour, it was a long wait because Jessica and especially Joaquin were WOUND UP!!! I have never seen them so wound up, it was just nervous energy. However during that time Joaquin did pick me a very lovely pink flower (oops, not supposed to pick the ICBF flowers) and said, this is for you, my Mami, and gave me a big kiss. Look out girls, my little Latino has the moves. I have started calling him my little Latino (not to him, but in my mind) he has some jigs and moves only a Latino could have.



So when it was our turn we all gathered around the table. Of course Joaquin had to chi chi (pee pee) so we sat around the table in a little file room waiting for the potty boy to come back. When he came back he was still wound tight, climbing on the table, under the table, Jessica unloading and reloading her purse and counting every item. Just simply nervous energy. The ICBF social worker ended up not taking the kids into another room. My personal opinion is that the social worker was afraid she couldn’t handle them by herself and was thinking if this crazy family can put up with this, well, just let them have them. In the end we were just laughing at the kids, and the social worker noted she knew it was just nervousness coming out in them.

They did ask Emilee and Nate how things have been, and they both said not so fun in the beginning but it’s much better now. When they asked Joaquin if he was happy and how it was going here is what he said, “A few nights ago a monster came in the room and the whole family was scared, but dad did “something’ and now it’s all okay.” I about lost it. When they asked Jessica if she was happy she said, “No,” but had a big smile on her face and started giggling, then quickly said “Yes, Yes, Yes.” That little stinker. I think it was pretty obvious that everyone was happy, but they did ask us if we had any questions and if we wanted to continue with the process. We went around the table and each person said “yes.” Of Course.



When we finally got in the car to leave, Joaquin was sitting in the back with Emi and Nate. He asked if he could come up and sit on my lap…can I hear an “ahhhhh.” Jessica was so exhausted from the whole ordeal that she zonked for about 5 minutes on Papi’s lap. Oh I forgot to mention that on the way there Jessica was quizzing the cab driver and Andres if they were going to be part of the family too or if they were just friends. It was cute. Anyway, once we pulled on our street where Zuetana is, Joaquin started yelling at Andres, who was driving, “right here, stop, it’s right here.” He recognized where we are staying and was glad to be back “home.”

Andres, our driver, he's the best


When we got back they started playing, different than they have this whole week. They played soccer with the other kids, which they haven’t done before. They were laughing and having a great time. It was like they finally felt at home. It was different I tell you, something was different. I think it’s finally starting to sink in and they are making themselves at home. This may sound awful, but for the first time since we got them, this morning I finally felt in my heart the sense of all 6 of us as family. I’ve read about others who say it takes some time for that to click, and I think it clicked in all of us, just this morning. Even Emilee said she could see something different in their eyes.




We ate lunch, well we tried to eat. You couldn’t even cut the meat, let alone chew it. How much are we paying to eat here anyway??? We did get soup with lunch and Joaquin said he didn’t like it. Jessica was sure to tell him they have had this soup at La Maria and to eat it. This was the first time they have mentioned La Maria all week. So they mentioned it once when they saw the little boy at ICBF and once at lunch. Then after lunch was time for a siesta. Joaquin really does need a nap, not Jessica, but defiantly Joaquin. Jessica knows she doesn’t have to sleep, but she has to lay down in her bed and quietly play. This has been no problem really, until today when she decided to be stubborn and pitch a fit about it. Of course Eric took care of it, he is much more stubborn than her if needed, and she knows it. Eric said he felt like some of this was spiritual, and I agree. It lasted for a bit and then she decided it was time to be her sweet self again. Hopefully she gets over this before Eric has to come home. I can analyze the issue and behavior but he is better at dealing with it. By the end of the night she had about 4 good fits today. I am too tired, mentally and physically to re live it by journaling. I do want to remember everything, but this behavior is really wearing on us, all of us, even Joaquin. The last fit just ended and she is now asleep, but she screamed so loudly at the top of her lungs that it woke Joaquin up and he was holding his ears.

It's not all fun and games


Anyway, so after nap time we went to Mimo’s for ice cream before dinner. We were starved after not eating a good lunch. There was a small play area there, so they played a bit then we hit the grocery store for some snacks. We got back in time to play a bit before dinner and deal with a fit or two. It’s taxing, it really is, you do what you can to stand your ground and analyze the root of the situation, but in the end you have to be sure they know you love them and it’s all going to be okay.

General note, just so I don’t forget. It seems that brothers and sisters here call each other mi hermano or mi hermana (my brother, my sister), then sometimes tag the specific name on the end. For example, Joaquin says mi hermana Jessica all the time, when he is referring to her. I’ve heard of other kids from here doing that too. Nothing major, just kind of interesting and I don’t want to forget it.

Okay, now let me end with a funny Joaquin story. Here at Zuetana at the front desk they keep candy, wrapped mints to give people to welcome them etc. Well they keep a refill stash behind the counter where the front desk person sits. The kids can’t really reach the top of the counter, but have figured out where the stash is. Any time someone is at the gate and needs in the push a button which rings inside 3 times. You can hear it throughout the little complex. So Joaquin has figured out that when the bell rings 3 times, the front desk person leaves their station to open the gate and if he hurries he can run behind the counter and get a few pieces of candy in his hand before the person comes back to their post. It doesn’t matter what he is doing, the bell will break his concentration and he takes off running for the front desk. Sneaky little latino!

Ok, I can’t resist, just one more story. The other night at dinner Joaquin burped and without thinking, in less than a split second, he points across the table at Nate and says “Nate!“ to blame Nate. It may not be as funny in print, but in person, we all cracked up. So now every time he burps he blames it on someone and laughs. It’s the look on his face that makes us laugh.

I have pics from Mimo’s but I am just to tired to do any more.
Good night.

16 comments:

Juniper said...

I am so excited for your family! You are finally a family of 6.

I had two blogs to catch up on today as I missed last nights. There was quite a bit happening in the last two days.

It looks like you all had a good time on Sunday...other that the monster of a sunburn! Yikes Beth! Take good care of that.

I am glad that all of the fits seem to be fading...a lil. I bet it can be rough to deal with them all day...or even periodically. You all have such an awesome bond. Jessica and Joaquin will soon realize this and I think that will all stop.

It sounds like Jessica and Joaquin finally feel like part of the family. Something that they haven't really had in so long. Each day can only get easier. Keep your spirits up. You are all family now!! :0)

I really loved the stories at the end about Joaquin. The last one about the burps was really cute. It made me laugh!

I hope you can get some sleep tonight!!

Prayers and Love!

Anonymous said...

Okay, Joaquin, you are definitely a ladies man. The flower, the hugs and kisses - however, you will have to learn to share the candy with your lady.

Jessica's little fits are just a prelude of what is yet to come with both girls when they hit those teenage years. Maybe the Lord is just preparing you for 2 teenage daughters! :) Look out Eric!

I love seeing your pictures. The one of Joaquin in your lap and of Eric with the kids is precious - so full of love!

What is the next step? Do you have a time frame?

Nate and Emi - you two are troopers! Nate, it looks like you won't be blaming your little brother for things, I think he is going to blame you first. I guess you'll have to blame the dog if you get in trouble. :)

Have a great day!
Love and Prayers,
Margie

Unknown said...

Hola Guys, hope you had a restful night. Emi no moom last night but i still sent my hugs and kisses to all of you. Nate we figured out the baseball sight. Papa had it written wrong on a different piece of paper. Jessica we love you, might as well stop throwing fits because you really are stuck with all of us now. Joaquin you are something else. Sounds as if it will be hard to get one step ahead of you. You go stinker. The pic with your driver was great, is he sure he wouldn't like to be part of the family. We could use a driver in this family, and we would feed him well. Also, the little lady who comes in the afternoon "L",can she come too, she can live for free at my house. Hope today is a restful one. Can't wait to see more pics. Bunches of Love, Papa & Mimi.

Unknown said...

Hola Guys, hope you had a restful night. Emi no moom last night but i still sent my hugs and kisses to all of you. Nate we figured out the baseball sight. Papa had it written wrong on a different piece of paper. Jessica we love you, might as well stop throwing fits because you really are stuck with all of us now. Joaquin you are something else. Sounds as if it will be hard to get one step ahead of you. You go stinker. The pic with your driver was great, is he sure he wouldn't like to be part of the family. We could use a driver in this family, and we would feed him well. Also, the little lady who comes in the afternoon "L",can she come too, she can live for free at my house. Hope today is a restful one. Can't wait to see more pics. Bunches of Love, Papa & Mimi.

Jenn said...

Congrats on your latest victory! You have another week before Eric leaves, right? I'm praying that today holds less fits to deal. Peace and blessings to you all.

Dios te bendiga!
jenn

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,,,,guess who? Yep Uncle Brian! So it's been a busy few days for all of you and us. Bailey and Brandon have both been sick, so be thankful you're in Colombia and not Okeana! :-) Oh and one more thing....one of the dogs had puppies last night, 2 girls and 1 boy. So we will have little puppies for you all to see when you get back home. That should be exciting for all of you.

So Nate, you're slipping buddy. You might have a challenge on your hands with Joaquin. You definitely need to get more creative and get him back. You could always try putting his hand in cold water while he's sleeping and see if he pees the bed! Oooops don't tell mom and dad I told you that.

Emi Jean, now what's going on with you baby? I loved the pictures you took the other day. Maybe you should consider a career in photography. You could always get a good start and practice for years. Hey, with a birthday coming up in a few months, I think I know what you should ask for! Get a really nice digital camera and start practicing.

Joaquin, one piece of advice.....sleep with your hands under the covers so Nate can't get to them at night! Oh, and keep up the good work. I think you and I are going to hit it off great.

And last, but not least, Jess. So how's my new favorite niece today? :-) Listen kiddo, I know you probably don't understand everything that is going on and everything that is running through your head, but hang in there. You have a wonderful family that loves you and you will have so many opportunities that will be available to you now. We love you so much and I can't wait to pick you up and swing you around! Oh and keep EJ in line b/c we all know what she can be like.

Beth and Eric, keep up the good work and don't forget to breathe! :-) I can only imagine the stress, anxiety, pressure you're feeling...and just missing the comfort of home. But just remember, you have a great support system behind you and you're about 1/2 home. I'm proud of you both and we love you. Enjoy the day and hopefully we can link up tonight.

Love, Uncle Brian

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Beth, Just wanted to tell you I so related to a lot you posted here. Ben and I both felt like we were just babysitting, until Integration and were ultimately approved by ICBF and then sent on to the court.

Andrew, the oldest, was the most difficult INITIALLY. I tried to understand that we came in and rocked his world...everything he knew was taken away from him even if it wasn't the most positive experience, it was all he knew...we were taking that away...we faced many tantrums...us, not speaking any spanish, scared us...when we disciplined them, would the Colombian ppl think we were abusing them as they wailed so loudly??? Would we be taken away by the police? It was definitely trying...Ben and I rested in the hope that once, you get home, baby...you are ours! You will understand what's going on...just wait! (sounds a little threatening, but it was the only thing that would help us keep our sanity when others (colombians) would undermine our authority and give the children what they wanted like candy, toys, etc.

BUT, Andrew, who was the most difficult, is now so much more understanding and compassionate..and knows now that we have desires to seem him flourish and to succeed. He knows now our love for him...well, maybe he still is learning, but the tantrums are few and far between...We have graduated to whining...and I can deal with that a lot easier! Ha! So, as you and Eric have been doing, do! Consistency and follow thru is key. Keep up the good work!!

Concerning the spanish and how they speak: I was told that of the Hispanic culture or ppl grps that Colombian ppl speak the most proper of all spanish-speaking ppls. I said usteade? YOU? and my interpretor told me when you use that word in colombia it is a derrogatory way of speaking and told us not to speak to the children that way, it was harsh??? ok!

And love the Joaquin stories!! He is hilarious! And I agree he will be quite the ladies' man! Great sense of humor! Love it!

Congratulations. Will be praying that you have a court date sooner than later. It can happen quick like the Middaugh family!Let it be God! You are blessed...

Susan Stevens said...

I confess I have been stalking your blog for several weeks now. I saw it listed on a friend of mine who is also adopting from Colombia. I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading about your daily adventures. I love the fact that you are so real about the good and bad. Can't wait to hear how your story unfolds.

The Jensen Family said...

First off, congratulations on your overwhelming feeling of finally becoming a family of 6. I can only imagine the transition time each of you needs if everything were to go perfectly. Then, when you throw in real-life--tantrums, crying spats, acts of defiance--it just adds to the length of the transition. I think of your family every day, and marvel at Nate and Emi. Obviously, Jessica and Joaquin have lost life as they knew it, but all of you have as well. So it's certainly understandable how tired you are after each and every day. Hopefully, you are finding time to do what you need to take care of yourself.

It sounds like Joaquin is quite the ham. LOVE the stories as it shows what a great personality he has. Keep the stories coming. I know that journaling them has to lift your spirits as well. God has blessed you in so many ways, especially with Joaquin and his ability to lighten the mood. : )

I will continue to pray that God gives each of you unfounded strength to get through your upcoming days. I know I have already said this, but I am so appreciative that you are being so candid. It is reallly helping me to mentally prepare for what may be ahead.

I sure wish we were going to have the chance to meet once we arrive, but you will hopefully be long gone by then! I'll also be praying for expedience in the courts so that you can get home and back to your new normality.

Traci

Anonymous said...

Hey I have been reading your blog everyday! I'm so excited to see you all together, the Hollis Family of 6... Let us know when you'll be home so we all can come see you and go to the ZOO!!!Love you all, TROY& JENA & MASON & baby BLAKE

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Hi Beth! I love reading your blog. It is like you are writing the story for our family. A few weeks ago, we went through the same thing with Brian (German). He is just like Jessica. It seems the older the kids are, the harder it is for them. Which totally makes sense. Brian continuously tested us. Sometimes I felt like I didn't have any more strength left in me for another tantrum but the next one came and I was right there for him.

From our experience, it became much easier when we got home. It was very hard to discipline Brian in Colombia. I was really worried about upsetting the Colombian people if we were too harsh on him. Which, telling him no to something seemed to harsh by all the looks we got especially when we were out.

John and TIffany left after 2 weeks and I was so worried. Brian tested me a lot more when John left but as long as I stood my ground, the tantrums wouldn't last as long. Brian had to talk to papi and Tiffany everyday when they left. It really comforted him and reassured him that they were still in the picture.

I want you to know that you are not alone with what you are going through with Jessica. Brian did the same thing with us. He could be so happy and then boom, have a melt down for no apparent reason. Most people just want to write about the good (including me) so I am so glad you have written about the whole picture. Now I know for sure that it wasn't just us. Thanks for the updates.

Lean & Green Mama said...

Thanks for keeping your blog updated - I check it regularly! I can understand about how the fits can be a bit exhausting. Our kids had fewer fits in Colombia than they did when they came home, but the few that they had were LONG. Mostly crying, literally for HOURS one night. It helps to know what is behind it all, the grieving, the processing, the testing - but it is still hard when all you really want as a Mom is that the child knows and understands that they are loved and secure and that the discipline they have received (or the reason you said 'no') is because you as a parent love them enough to set boundaries for them. It does come though - that understanding - and the fits become less and more manageable.

Sherri said...

So glad your meeting went well! Now you just have to wait :). We're definitely praying about the fits and all the adjustments. You know I understand in some ways, although every child is different. Is there something about Latin boys? Isaac is the biggest flirt, but men generally get the "Colombian stare down." So glad you were feeling more like a family, funny I had the same feeling today, and someone else told me it took nine months. So you are in no way behind! Praying for a beautiful end to your trip. Praying too for rest and peace of mind!

Much love,
Sherri

PS- Your comment on my block was awesome, it gave me just the encouragement I needed, thanks for keeping up with us in this time of your life, I appreciate it so much!

Unknown said...

The big day is finally there and over.. you can see all the relief in everyone..
Beth the kiss and flower is priceless.. my heart just melted.. he is a ladies man for sure.. lol :)

Eric the pic with you, Jessica and
Joaquin is so beautiful!

At least the number of girls and boys are even.. lol
your family of six.. is just what God had planned.. isn't he amazing? You can see how Jessica and Joaquin can feel the love from their family and have started to let their guards done.
Emi and Nate you are being such troopers.. keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.