Thursday, April 10, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane...



Tomorrow is the big day, we’re packed and ready to go! The funeral is over, everyone is back home, or on their way, and we kicked into packing mode. Tia Jeanie came over yesterday after she got off work to help me do some creative packing. Actually she packed, I just handed her stuff. I had spent the afternoon getting all of the clothes out and putting everything in one room so we could easily see what we had in order to pack it all. I wish I had taken a picture of our living room full of stuff to pack. I am amazed it all fit and made the 50 lb weight limit per suitcase. However this morning I realized I forgot to pack a pair of shoes and umbrellas. I wonder how much Delta will charge if one of your bags is 52 lbs instead of 50...guess we’ll find out.

* update, Delta charges $80 if you are one pound over...so my sister had an idea. Where my brother in law works they have an industrial type of scale. So at his lunch break I took our luggage over to be weighed. Good thing I did becasue a few of the suitcases were 52 lbs. I don't want to take any chances, so we unloaded a few items that will now go in our carry on stuff. The suitcases of books are so heavy, good thing we aren't bringing them all back home...smile!

I feel so ahead of the game today. My Aunt was going to come over to help me pack to day, but it’s finished. So today I have to drop off the dogs, clean the house, call the bank and to tell them we are going to be making multiple withdraws from Colombia and not to freeze our account, empty the refrigerator, exchange some money into pesos, and pay bills. Hmm…very do-able for one day. Then this evening family is stopping by to say goodbye.

Yesterday Emilee told me she had a dream about when we meet the kids and that Jessica drew a picture of all 6 of us together and Joaquin came into the room to meet us with a great big grin. I think we are all getting just a little excited. The time is finally here. Monday is just around the corner.

As I was typing this one of Nate’s teachers called, they are having a good bye party for him and called to wish us well. The class is going to follow the blog, hopefully we get to do some sight seeing and can put some fun stuff out there for them to read. I will have to remember to put some fun cultural things out there for them to read.

Here is one to start with.
How many pesos equal one dollar?
1 US Dollar = 1,813.91 Colombian Peso
1 Colombian Peso = 0.0005513 US Dollar

I think I need to take a calculator with me to, the conversion from dollars to pesos is not easy math. I will have no idea how much I’m spending.




Okay well, time to wrap it up. You will hear from us again this weekend. We won’t get into Bogota and to our room till late on Friday, but you will hear from us for sure on Saturday. We will be going to Children’s Vision International on Saturday, so hopefully I will have some good pics to show you and a good report of our visit. Also, we will be flying standby, so pray we all get on the flights we are booked for. I have peace about it, but it doesn’t hurt to send up a prayer.

The website where we are staying is www.zuetana.com

More later from Bogota…(I got chills when I typed that…I’m so excited)

15 comments:

Boyacheks said...

I am so excited for you guys!! I am praying for you to get on the flight you want to, for safe travels and a wonderful time meeting the new precious additions to your family!! We can't wait to meet you guys. See you down there!!!
Jaime

Juniper said...

WOW! I can't believe it is now "go" time!! How exciting is that?!

I can not wait to hear more about your trip while you are down there. I will be thinking bout you guys and praying for you to have a safe flight. I hope you can get the flight that you have booked. If not...I hope that you can at least get a flight together!

You are so organized with this entire event, and things have been falling into place the entire way. I am sure that you will be fine and all will work out just as He has planned for you.

Oh yea...as far as the 2lbs over on your bag...I don't think they will say much. tee hee

With love and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and enjoy your trip. Don't forget to try the empanadas con aji.

Blessings to you and your family.

Ana
NY

Jenn said...

I am completely jittery with excitement for you!!! Our prayers are with you all. I can't WAIT to hear more from Bogota!!!

peace and blessings
jenn

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the GPS, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://gps-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

David and Sheila Derr said...

Hello all 4 of you...soon to be 6!!!! Ahhhh! That is so awesome! Beth, we are praying for protection and provision of flights down! Praying also for your family in expectation of one another and that Gotcha Day that is soon here! And praying especially for deep growth together as family! May you be ever aware of the Lord's peace and guidance through your time in Colombia...and finally, may the goose bumps continue!!!! Blessings of the trip ahead!

Sherri said...

We'll be praying for you! It's finally here! I'd be careful about the 50 lbs, once we were over (can't remember by how much - maybe 5lbs?) but they charged us. They weren't too friendly! For the pesos, I just divided by two and took off zeros (three zeros, I think!) until it made sense! Like the taxi ride was 40,000 pesos from the airport to the hotel ($20). I think the exchange rate was about 2000 pesos to a dollar when we were there (close to what you said!). By the way pesos are pretty, gosh the green dollar is bland :).

Can't wait to see your posts, wow, are you going to be able to sleep?! Blessings to you all, and many many prayers.

Love,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear friend and counsin by marriage is that not a mouth full. I'm so glad you gave me your blog site. OH how fun to read your wonderful journey. We will keep you in our prayers.
Love you all
The Tuckers

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hello Hollis Family. We are so excited and emotional for you at the same time. We know your family is going to receive a huge blessing in the next couple of days that words won't be able to describe. We wish you love, peace and travel mercies. We are praying for you. Our church is praying for you. We can't wait to to hear from Bogota. I know Ashley will be keeping up with the blog everyday to make sure she knows where Emi is.. We can't wait to meet your jewels from Colombia.
God bless, watch over you and be with you!
The Potters

Genece said...

Countdown is coming to a close and liftoff is almost here! Can you believe it's so close? I'm praying that you have safe flights and no troubles with luggage overweights or any extra surprises. We encountered some problems while there and got charged for the extra luggage weight. Enjoy yourselves! I'll be checking in for updates regularly! I'm so happy your day is almost here!
Prayers to your family,
Genece

Laura S said...

Safe travels to you all! I know everyone is so excited. We'll be thinking about you guys over the weekend and on Monday as you make the final preparations.

Anonymous said...

Wow...it's here!!! That is so neat that you'll be with families in Bogota...!!!

THE CALDERARO'S said...

Yipee!!We are so excited for you. What a blessing that we will be able to share some of these special moments with you first hand. See you in Bogota....

The Jensen Family said...

I have found myself doing the countdown with you since your referral date. The time has passed so quickly and I feel like a part of me is on this journey. I am more than excited to hear about the days ahead. May God bless each and every one of through your travels. Can't wait for Gotcha Day!!

Traci