Friday, March 14, 2008

Gotcha Day!


The info you have all been waiting for...That was Fast!!!

Colombia has already confirmed our Gotcha Day (this is the day we will meet the children). Monday April 14th! The photo is the only photo we have or that we will get before we meet Jessica and Joaquin Alexander. Jessica just turned 7 in February and Joaquin is 4. He has a birthday on April 17th, just a few days after we meet them. It will be fun to celebrate his birthday with him. By they way, Joaquin is pronounced Wakeen…just in case you needed help with that.

It looks like we will be traveling on April 10th or 11th. We are flying on buddy passes so we need to leave some extra time to make sure we all get down there. Then on the 12th and/or 13th we plan to visit Children’s Vision International to deliver the books and other items and to spend some time at the orphanage. We want to do this before we meet Jessica and Joaquin for several reasons. One reason is just that we want to be able to focus on them and us as a family, not worrying about anything else. Secondly, our children are currently living in an orphanage and it may be terribly scary or confusing to them to take them to Children’s Vision International.

Our next steps are to notarize and apostille a few of our items then send them off to Chicago where our visas will be processed. We have to have visas while we are there to carry out the legal procedures of the adoption in Colombia. All of this will take a few weeks, so I’m on it. I will spend the weekend and beginning of next week gathering documents. I will have to take them to have our notary verified here in Cincinnati, then I will be driving to Columbus on Friday or or the following Monday, to have our documents apostilled, same day service, so we can get everything off to Chicago.

It’s so hard to believe we are actually getting ready to travel!

Wow, one year ago about this time we applied to CHI. It’s hard to believe it’s been a year. I remember before we took the step I called my sister to, in a way, get her permission to adopt. See, my brother and I are older and had the fun of having our babies, but my sister was just starting her family. She had two baby girls at the time and I didn’t want to take anything from her. It was time for all of us to focus on her and her family, I in no way wanted to dampen that. For anyone who doesn’t know my family well, my siblings, parents, most of my grandparents, aunts and uncles all live within 15 minutes of each other. So we are a tight group, and I am very close to my siblings. Before I got the words out of my mouth she said, “I think I know why you are calling, but you talk first, just in case I’m wrong.” So I told her my thoughts and she, with not one bit of hesitation, said “Of course it’s okay!” She did indeed know what I was calling for, she knew it was coming. Just one more confirmation that we were on the right road. We filed our application, were approved and began telling our families. They were all so open to adoption.

Our families have been so incredibly supportive and are very excited about getting the kiddos home. Eric and I are so fortunate to have such wonderful families.

Okay so, maybe I am a little bit bias, but aren't they adorable????

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm SO excited to see the picture!! They are both beautiful and look so happy! What a great picture! The time will FLY and you will be on a plane before you know it. I can't wait to hear how everything unfolds! Congrats!!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Adorable with a capital A!!! Congrats and God Bless you and your family!!!

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

I am so happy for you guys! What a beautiful family you have. I will keep you in my prayers as you move along with the next step. Time will go quicker than you think. Trust me! We leave tomorrow morning for Colombia and it seems like we just got the call a few days ago.

Juniper said...

I am SO EXCITED and happy for you and your family! I can't wait til you can bring your babies home. And it's just around the corner now!

Thanks for sharing your journey with me!

Always in my thoughts and prayers!

Nicole said...

They are absolutely beautiful!! In just a months time your lives will be forever changed...but for good!!! Congratulations!

Jenn said...

THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO CUTE! I am so excited for you. You've got a lot to do in the next few weeks...you're all in our prayers.

peace and blessings to all SIX of you!
jenn

Sherri said...

You aren't just biased, they are adorable! They look like the love each other too :).

You're in my prayers as you get everything together. It's a good thing God was preparing you to be ready, because you needed to be!

Love,
Sherri

Genece said...

Beth, they look so darling, so sweet, and a pairing truly sculpted by our heavenly Father! Now we see the other faces of your family whom we lift up in prayer!

Enjoy your days ahead as you ready yourself and your family! Time flys by real quick now! You'll see what I mean.

Congratulations and sending many prayers to the Hollis family!
Genece

David and Sheila Derr said...

Oh how beautiful they are!!!! We are so excited for you guys! This next 3 weeks or so will go by so very quickly! May the Lord bless you in your preparations for travel and in your children's waiting for their forever family!

Much Love,
The Derrs =)

Christy said...

Yes, they are wonderful! Congratulations to you and the entire family - I can only imagine the excitement that must be buzzing at your house! :) God bless you in all you do to prepare and bring them home.

Christy

janine said...

Wow, the kids are so incredibly cute and I can imagine your excitement!

You are in my thoughts and prayers as there are so many things to do, preparing for travel!

Can't wait to continue to follow your journey . . .

love, janine

Nate and Rena Duewel said...

How absolutely fabulous!!!!!!
This is a great day and we are all cheering here for your family!
Many congrats and love.
The Duewel 6

Anonymous said...

Que preciosos! Joaquin es uno de mis nombres favoritos. It was on my boy name list!

Felicitaciones familia Hollis.

D and Moni said...

YEAH! You may not know me so well, but I follow the CHI yahoo group and am just thrilled for your coming family union!!! The kids are just totally adorable! I teared up just reading your joy! I will continue to keep up on your blogging of this journey! God bless your next few weeks preparing to go!
Monica Bond

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

They are gorgeous!!! And they look like lots of fun! Time will zoom by as you take care of loose ends! Knowing you guys are just psyched! Will be praying as the children are introduced to your family and they are prepared by the SW. Can't wait to see how it unfolds!!! This was really quick! Congrats!

deanna willett said...

Beth,

Oh my gosh! They are so cute. We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to follow your journey to Colombia.