Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Excitement is Building



Can I just say we have the most amazing family and friends!!! I can not even begin to explain the excitement and joy in the hearts of our family and friends as they await the children to come home.

My work friends and my family are planning showers for us. They will both be the week before we travel and they are inviting the whole city…okay, that was a little bit of an exaggeration, but they are inviting tons of people. My grandma’s neighbor even has the kids photos on her refrigerator and has called her several times about their sizes and items they may need. The person that grooms her puppy even gave her money to buy the new additions something. Mamaw Starla and Papaw Ronnie already bought Joaquin his first UT (University of Tenn) outfit. Go VOLS! They also bought Jessica the sweetest little outfit that will definitely be packed for her to wear whole we are there. Family members can hardly talk about Jessica and Joaquin without crying. Emi and Nate think 3 more weeks to meet them is forever. People are so generous and kind, they are so excited they just can’t wait to “give” not just material items but love, hugs and kisses (abrazos y besos). These kids have no idea what they are in for. They are going from broken pieces and orphanage life to people who will surround them with love and affection. This generational curse that is upon them will definitely be broken.

Here’s a question for those of you who have traveled to Bogota. Are long sleeves necessary or will short sleeves with jackets do? Here in Cincinnati all of the spring shorts and capris are out so it’s been tough to come by pants other than jeans. I have found a few long sleeve t-shirts for them, but long sleeves have been hard to come by too, especially for Jessica.

So what’s on the to do list? On Friday my aunt and I traveled to Columbus to have all of our notarized items apostilled and our plane tickets were printed. So on Monday I will make copies of everything and overnight our paperwork to Chicago to the Colombian Consulate to process our VISAs. The turn around time is about 1 week, so we should get them back in plenty of time. The house is ready but because Emilee and Jessica will be sharing a room and Nate and Joaquin will be sharing a room I need to go through the dressers to make space. I am off a few days this coming week so I will be able to add a few more check marks to my list. I will be getting the luggage out this week and making lists for packing. I need to pick up some children’s Tylenol and cold medicine to have on hand and work on organizing our video clips. I also spoke to Children’s Vision International on Thursday to confirm our visit with them.

Travel update…we will be leaving on Friday April 11th arriving in Bogota at 8:30ish pm. As it stands now, Eric will have to come home early, so his flight home is April 30th. He will be with us for 2 ½ weeks. Emi and Nate really want to stay with me in Colombia. So for the rest of us we are set to tentatively come home on May 10th.

One last thing. Joaquin’s birthday is 3 days after our Gotcha Day. So my sister asked if when we get together for Easter if we could video the family singing Happy Birthday (Feliz cumpleaƱos) in Spanish to Joaquin, then we could show it to him on his Birthday. What a fun idea.

Also, Jessica’s backpack came so we are ready to start putting a few fun items in them. I think we are on track. Time to start making lists so I don’t forget something.

Happy Easter to all of you!

17 comments:

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Beth, I know what the book says about jeans, BUT Colombians DO wear jeans! Take jeans and be comfortable. Capris are good, and may get nippy and need a jacket. We loved the weather while we were in Bogota. Colombians were wearing jackets while we were in short sleeves. It gets cooler in the evenings; a light jacket would be good. Just make sure you have one or two nice suits to meet the ICBF workers. People wore shorts and jeans during our stay. Ben wore jeans. I wished I had brought more than 1 pair, but I was trying to "go by the book!" Anyways, others may have thoughts to share...

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Oh, yeah, and jeans during the week, too! Andres who drove us to certain appts wore them...

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Hi Beth! I am so excited for you. We are in Colombia right now. The weather is like spring here to us. Like Wendi said, we are wearing short sleeves and the Colombians are wearing jackets. You will need a light jacket for the evenings and sometimes in early morning if you go out. Oh and the jean thing is way off. A lot of people wear jeans. John brought some jeans and some casual slacks but mostly wears jeans. I only brought one pair of jeans and wish I had more. I mostly wear capris. One thing I wish I had brought is suntan lotion! John and I have a bad sunburn. John doesn't have much hair on top and forgot to wear his hat one day and scorched his head. I also had to go out and buy a washcloth for the room. Towels are provided but no washcloths. We are staying at El Refugio and it is nice. Hope you get to stay there too. One thing I can tell you for sure is the more Spanish you know the better. We have been carrying a translation book around and it has helped some but we communicate in one-two word phrases. We are able to communicate with German just fine with only minor problems with not understanding what he is saying.

Los Marlows said...

Beth, definitely very exciting! I emailed you last week as we are also in Cincinnati looking to adopt from Colombia. I agree with the other posts. Jeans are perfectly fine. In my several trips to Bogota we have worn short sleeve shirts and jeans. There will be times that shorts are fine as well. One thing that my wife has always preached to me (remember she is from Colombia) is no white tennis shoes. Those make you stand out!

Anonymous said...

Hola! felicitaciones por sus ninos! I would say that you will need long sleeves shirts and a jacket. If you check the weather.com website you will have an idea of what type of outfits you need to bring. Personally I like to go by my own opinion since i am ALWAYS cold.
Adoptivemami2B
New York

Anonymous said...

HI Beth!
Jeans are totally fine in Bogota. I wore mine almost everyday I was there, with a nicer shirt. I did not wear tennis shoes or sweatshirts at all because I felt too casual. I bought a few pairs of nicer shoes while I was there (with a small heel) and wore those most of the time. Short sleeve shirts with a light jacket are perfect.

It is so exciting to see you getting ready to meet your babies! I love the backpacks! Just be careful with the name on the backpack because strangers can call the kids by their names. Maybe place a cute button on top for when you are in crowded places. Just for safety reasons....

Debi

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth!!! Man, you have been busy!!! We've been on vaca the last week so I haven't been able to visit your blog the usual 4 times a day!!! I love the new pics of the kiddos. So, the hubby is coming home early? We may have to do that. How did ICBF feel about that? The boys want to go as well but may have to come home after the 10 day requirement. Anyway, We look forward to following you guys to Colombia! >MUAH<

Laura S said...

The kids (Jessica and Joaquin) will need long sleeves and jackets. It will be what they are used to. No shorts or white athletic shoes (unless you are exercising) both are sure signs of tourists. Jeans are fine, although Bogota tends to be a little dressier than Medellin and some of the other cities (kind of how you would expect a very business oriented city to be) so dress appropriately when you have meetings and such. If you have friends with kids the same size as your new additions ask to borrow off season clothes. They won't fit them for next year anyway!

Take some Immodium and Benadryl too. They are always good to have just in case. I try to have a generous supply of meds available whenever we go simply because they often don't have the same brands and its too hard to figure out the Colombian equivalent. If you ever take Tums...take those too. They are hard to find and only have the mint flavor!

Jennifer said...

Hi - We were in Monteria most of our trip - which is extremely hot!! So, I packed for it & put a jacket in for Bogota. While in Bogota, I would layer her shirts (sleeveless over short-sleeve) & bring the jacket. She was fine with that. I just didn't have room for a wardrobe for each climate! :-)

At the mall, we had on short sleeves & felt fine while Colombians walked by us with big coats and scarves wrapped around their mouths :-)

Jennifer

Juniper said...

WOW Beth! Looks like you are almost there! It looks like you are getting a lot of good advice about all the weather and changes of clothes!

I can hardly believe you will be taking off in THREE WEEKS to go get your babies!!! That is so exciting!

As for Jessica and Joaquin, they are in for a big surprise when they get here. They are so loved already and we have not even met them. Imagine how loved they will be when we all get to meet them!!!

Congratulations on having all your stuff in order and getting ready to meet your new babies!!! :0)

Erin said...

I just wanted to say that your children are beautiful!! I am so happy for you and can't wait to read more of your journey!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Please help! I will travel to Colombia in May and would like to stay in El Refugio. I have looked for their website but cannot find one. May I have their phone number or website if you have it? i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

LI NY

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhhhh, we are down to two weeks now!!!!!

David and Sheila Derr said...

Hey Beth!
You guys are getting so close now! Thanks for your post on our blog. We are doing well, just been a tad busy knowing that we are getting close to our own referral. We are so very glad for you guys!!!! And can't wait to follow along on your journey while you are there!

Much Love,

Sheila =)

The Jensen Family said...

Beth~ I missed our monday night chat group and haven't been able to check blogs lately but was SO EXCITED to see an update. It sounds like you have recived a lot of wonderful advice and tremendous amounts of support. Thank you so much for sharing your journey as it helps all of us who are still waiting to be even more prepared for our big day. You and your family have been blessed in so many way and I pray those blessings continue throughout. I hope the rest of your week goes well. I know every passing day must be so exciting as you grow closer to meeting your children.

Traci

Lean & Green Mama said...

Hi! How exciting that you have just 2 weeks to go! I remember those days! How exciting!

I've added a blog roll to my blog and have included a link to your blog, if that is okay...let me know if you'd prefer I not have the link.

Holly

Anonymous said...

We were in Bogota in November to adopt a 7 year old boy. We loved Bogota. We wore short sleeves or long sleeved t-shirts and jeans. We wore tennis shoes as we walked all over and also spent a lot of time at the park keeping the children entertained. Felipe (our newly adopted son) needed warmer clothing, as that is what he was used to. You can buy clothes for the kids there, but it is more expensive than purchasing them here. You will also want a couple nice outfits for meetings. ICBF would prefer both parents stay the whole time, so don't mention that one of you is leaving early unless they specifically ask you.