Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Childrens Vision International


Well the last two weeks have been crazy, with my mind spinning. Am I ready to take on two more children? I don’t know enough Spanish! Are our children being briefed on the fact that they will be adopted and not returning to their birth parents? Are they in Bogota or another city? We must be getting close. March?

A few families are in Colombia right now and I so desire to be there too. I am beginning to prepare my heart, my emotions for what is about to come. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for us.

On a side note, about he books for the orphanage in Colombia. We have had great response so far. Almost 30 books and just a week into the show! Holy Cow! Second, I now have more info on the orphanage we will be donating to. This will not be a place our children will be from, but a much deserving orphanage. If you don’t mind this being a bit lengthy I will explain.

I spoke to the Colombia Program Director from our agency about how to work out donating these books to an orphanage and if we could hand deliver them when we go or should we have them shipped. The shipping verses taking them with us will just depend on how many books we have to take. Will they all fit in our luggage? What city will we fly into, etc? However, in our conversation she gave me a name of this great Christian Orphanage that our agency supports. She gave me some info and I did some research. She also told us we were welcome to visit this orphanage at any point in time, once we are in Bogota. Even if our children are from a different city, we will spend the final week in Bogota. So going for a visit is no problem.

I have spoken to the director and can hear the sincerity in her. I wish I had millions to give. But here is the scoop. They are a non-profit, non-government organization whose purpose is to help the needy and homeless. They take in (as stated on their website) “children that live in boxes underneath bridges; children that not only endure birth defects, but are victims of neglect and abuse. Most children which we receive into our home suffer from chronic malnutrition, bronchitis, parasites, severe diarrhea, as well other intestinal diseases. They are children whose parents are drug addicts, prostitutes, delinquents or victims of war who were forced to leave their homeland and are unable to provide and care for them” They take children who have never been registered, no birth certificate, no record of being alive. These children have no hope with out this organization. These children can not be adopted because the government has no record of them as ever having being born.

Here is the story of one child they have taken in (as stated in their newsletter) “Little Jhon, 5 ½ months old, was an extremely sick baby. He slept in a pile of rags on the floor. His right lung was failing and thousands of parasites were buried deep under his skin. He cried so long and hard he developed a hernia. His whole body was full of infection. Drugs and neglect were part of his daily life. He lived like an animal in an abandoned building; no lights, no water, no windows, no doors and no hope. We immediately started health care. Every two hours we had to do different treatments. It took a month for him to be stabilized.”

Check out the website, your heart will be touched. http://www.childrensvision.org/

I personally can’t wait to meet these children in person. This orphanage is one of a kind. We pray God’s wisdom and guidance for the caretakers, health and peace for the children. The only problem I see if we go for a visit, is that I will not want to come home. I will want to stay and be a part of the lives of these hurting souls. Please, look at the website and pray for these children and the caretakers.

Hopefully, more adoption news for us to come soon!

4 comments:

Laura S said...

It is such a wonderful thing you are doing. If you are in a place where Avianca flys directly (or know someone in one of those cities) send the books air freight. You will need all the suitcase space you can get for your stuff (and the kids) and its cheaper than trying to ship DHL or the like. You might even be able to ship Delta (Delta Dash) or American Airlines to Bogota and have your agency's in country rep pick them up.

Sherri said...

Beth,

This broke my heart! I am ready to pack it up and move there. I need to wait until God says so though. To think I was in Bogota oblivious to it all. I can't wait to hear about your visit. Hope you and the family are doing well!

Love,
Sherri

Juniper said...

I think that it is such a wonderful thing that you are doing for all of these orphans! You have the kind of soul that these kids need to survive! A strong caring person that will do what needs to be done for them to get well! I know you will only be visiting, but with all of these books that you are putting together for this orphanage, they can not worry so much and spend time with the children reading and helping them get well.

I know you are eager to get there, and I know it will be hard for you to leave. You will learn a lot and have a great time spending every moment that you can with all of the new children that you are going to meet while you are over there. Including your own new children!

I can't wait until you get the call to fly over and meet your new family! It seems like it is getting so close!

Genece said...

Beth and family,
I am so happy to hear about all you plan to do while in Colombia. The outpouring of love you wish to extend is an absolute blessing. I remember reading about this particular organization over 2 years ago and their website detailed such captivating stories detailing the lives of their children, some of which you've included with your info. It sure made a lasting impression on me 2 years ago when I first heard of the organization, and just now upon viewing their website it warms my heart to see they've experienced growth and extended services to others during that timeframe. But sadly so, there is still an abundance of others in need. May your acts of kindness bless many! I pray for and support your every step, sister!
Much love, Genece