Friday, February 22, 2008

New Beginnings



Well, this week has been exciting. I turned in my resignation at work; My last day will be April 8th. Eric and I have made the decision that it will be best if I can devote more time at home once we bring home our Colombian Jewels. I will continue to work on a part time basis, and once we see just what the needs are of our new additions we will determine what “part time” means. (how many hours, days or evenings, etc.) But until we travel I will continue to work at least 30 hours freelancing.

I turned in my notice on Tuesday and by yesterday I was feeling ready for the next chapter to begin. I enjoy my job, so turning in my resignation was bitter sweet. But in taking the step to cut back at work I found myself that much more anxious for the referral call. Again, I remind myself, all in God’s timing.

Also this week on our yahoo group someone shot out an email with loads of questions on behalf of all of us waiting to travel. The questions were aimed at those who have already been to Colombia and come home. Things like, advise on packing, what Spanish phrases would especially come in handy, what kinds of things did you take for the children etc. There have been some great responses and I started keeping a notebook of things to help me keep track and prepare. I have purchased a few things like sun block, bug spray, and a few other items, but really need to start making a list. So the yahoo sisters who have been so willing to take the time to help advise us have been invaluable.

As far as the books for orphans, we now have about 80 books. I am so excited. Along with the books we are also taking supplies for the orphanage. I was speaking to a friend about possibly getting donations of baby supplies (shampoo, lotion, powder) which are very expensive in Colombia and the very next day she called and told me she had three boxes of stuff to be donated. Baby supplies, over 50 toothbrushes, more than 20 tubes of toothpaste etc! Children’s Vision is sending me a list of their children’s names and ages. We hope to have enough donations to have the girl scouts make a goodie bag for each child. We are getting pencils, stickers, hair accessories, small balls, etc. This is so much fun. I am excited for Emi and Nate to have this experience and to visit the orphanage. I am trying to be careful and not put them on emotional overload while we are there, so we may only be able to spend one day, but none the less, they will make memories and will have a special place in their hearts for orphans, God’s children! Obviously we are going to make the orphanage trip before our Gotcha Day so we can focus our attention on our family once we are all together.

My adrenaline is pump’n…
Must be gett’n close!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You are so right; all the info from the yahoo group has been really great. We are keeping you all in prayer. I'm glad to hear that things are moving along for you. Hopefully you'll hear something really soon.

peace and blessings!
jenn