Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 32 in Bogota

First off…My friend Peggy that I mentioned received Sentencia today!!! Thanks for your prayers, she and Sofia will come home Friday!

Today we completed our applications for Jessica and Joaquin’s VISAs. We left the hotel at 9 am and didn’t get back until 12:30. We were told to plan for 2 to 4 hours at the VISA office and it was a good thing we had been warned. There was a line just to get in the front enterance, which Lucia took us straight to the front of the line. I love these people. Once inside there were two families ahead of us in the adoption line. The place was packed with people and it was open on all sides. There was a roof but it was open, which was nice because you didn’t feel enclosed with all those people. For folks with older kids, take them something to do. I took them each a backpack with some snacks and things to do. I did take their DS games, but I wasn’t able to take them in. I had to check them at the counter and pick them up when we left. The kids weren’t too happy about that, but they lived. We go back to pick them up at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon. Then we are all set to come home on Wed morning. Missy emailed me today and said the flights all still look good, so hopefully we get through immigration quickly in Atlanta so we make our next flight. We have less than 2 hours in Atlanta.

About every hour this morning Joaquin said “Are we going to the US now?” It was so cute. Jessica kept telling him “NO, we go on the plane on Wednesday!”

Then this afternoon just after lunch there was a party for the families in celebration of Mother’s Day. They had a person come who does puppets and such with kids. So Jessica and Joaquin were asked to help decorate and had a fun time. The lady who came with the puppets did a great job. She brought a special book that talks about a little bird who had no mother and was adopted by a bear who had adopted other animals too, like a frog, a mouse and one other animal. It was so great to watch the faces of the kids as the story went on. After the story she let the kids come up and put on their own show, which they all really enjoyed. Several of the families from the other Zuetana came over so it was nice to see them all. Peggy came and we said our goodbyes, but plan to keep in touch. Another family that has been here for 5 weeks also came, she found out today she will not be going home until the end of the month…I have much to be thankful for. (She is not with our agency, CHI)






Well, Emi and Nate went back to school today and were so glad to see all of their friends and teachers. Thank you Margie for the comment about Nate this morning, it made me cry. Smile. My mind has been spinning all day about all that has to be done when we get home. I have to figure out English tutoring for the summer, have Jessica tested to see which grade she should be in and really work on academics with them before the fall. It will be so good to get home and get into a routine and start acclimating Jessica and Joaquin to the States. They are going to do great, even today Lucia spoke of how intelligent they were. They were a bit wound up at times at the VISA office but were very intrigued at how and why things work as far as getting to the US. Lucia is awesome, she is very sweet and cares a great deal about the children here.

So many people have asked about Eric and commented on how they enjoyed Emi and Nate while they were here.

Jessica and Joaquin love one of the front desk workers who works during the day, James. They call him “something” and I had no idea what they were saying. I have told them several times to call him Senor James, but they always just laugh at me and James doesn’t seem to mind so I let it go. So today I asked James what it is that they call him. He laughed and said it means Big Head. I apologized but he just laughed. I really need to know more Spanish. So now I will really have to get on them to show some respect. James has been a great sport with him. I tell him everyday when he leaves that it’s time for him to go take a nap. My kids wear him out, they don’t leave him alone all day.

With all that went on here today, it went pretty quick; I guess that’s good. Tomorrow I will just do some laundry so I don’t have to travel with dirty clothes, and finish packing. I have to pay our lawyer and Zuetana and hand out a few thank you gifts. We are almost home! Look out!!

Okay, that’s all I have in me tonight. I have fought a nasty headache all day, it’s more sinus related, but it’s fried my brain. See you all soon!

Sorry this is kind of all over the place, it’s all I’ve got. Love you all!

10 comments:

Boyacheks said...

I am so glad you guys get to go home Wed!! I will be praying for safe travels! Hopefully we won't be far behind you!
God Bless,
Jaime

The Jensen Family said...

Yippee! Things still look great for a Wednesday return. Sorry that we will just miss you but I am so happy for you, Beth. Hopefully we can meet another day in the future. Your trip has been so helpful. Thank you for sharing!

Traci

Juniper said...

I am glad that everything went smoothly today!! That is great news and a huge relief to have that out of the way. Now only having to pick those up. Wow...I'm so excited for you!!!

I am excited for Peggy and Sofia too! It is wonderful that they will be heading home on Friday. I can only imagine how excited they are...and their family waiting for them at home are too!!

Jessica and Joaquin's faces just light a room up when they smile! They are so beautiful and I am glad that you have this little bit of time with them alone. I know that when you get them home (what a beautiful sound...HOME) that things will be pretty busy too. They are both very smart though and I think that you all will be just fine! :0)

I can't wait til you can be home and settled and we can all meet your little latino jewels!

Emi and Nate - It's wonderful that you are back at school and enjoying the time you have with your friends there. You were such awesome troopers throughout this trip. I am sure that it is nice to have a little bit of time back at home before your lil brother and sister get home with your mom.

Eric, Jeanie, and rest of family - Get ready...two more days and the Hollis family is going to be all together...AT LAST!!! :0) I know you are all very excited! I know that I can't wait either! Hope all of you are doing well in the anticipation of Beth and the kids coming home.

I will pray for you to all have a safe flight home on Wed. So tmr, just enjoy your last day there. Take in everything that you can. Maybe one last pic of the three of you. :0) Or one with you and some of the memebers that have helped you so much along your journey!

Love and Prayers!
Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Peggy and Sofia can begin their count down to return home. Now we all need to pray for the others who have been there even longer than you.

Beth - try to get a good night's sleep tonight. We will keep you in our prayers for safe travels tomorrow. Tomorrow - that sounds wonderful!

Love and Prayers,
Margie

Unknown said...

Wow--- today is the last day. This is it for Jessica and Joaquin.I can't begin to imagine what it is going to be like for them. Tomorrow they leave all that they have ever known and enter into a completely different world. That is huge!!!! Their little minds and hearts must be full of so much anticipation, they are going to love the plane ride.
May your last day in Bogota be filled with many happy memories and special moments. Tomorrow starts a new phase of the journey. We can't wait to be a part of it as well as a help. You have done such a tremendous job, Beth, and I praise the Lord for being with you every step of the way, and sending such great people in Bogota to assist you. Your walk through this, and your sincere honest comments about each days events have been a blessing, as well as a testament of God's plan. You have been an encouragement to many and as always , a hero to me.
Bunches of love,hugs and kisses---see you soon---Mom

Laura S said...

If you get this in the morning...the Embassy this time will be much faster. There probably won't be anyone else there when you get there. The reason you got to go to the front (in this case) had nothing to do with your agency, its because you are a US citizen.

Also immigration in Atlanta is so easy. It took us less than 5 minutes for them to do Mateo's paperwork. Don't worry about your flights. It won't be a problem. Worst part will be claiming and rechecking your bags.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad ya'll are coming home Wed.... Let me know when you all get settled in we want to come see you all but we dont want to bombard you all when you first get home... We love you, Troy, Jena ,Mason & baby Blake

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that everything work out today!!! That is so great to hear news that you guys coming home tomorrow!! I am so excited for Peggy and Sofia for coming home too!! We will praying for safe travels for you guys!

Can not wait to meet the new ones!

God Bless,
Anthony & Amy :)

Sherri said...

Yea! Almost there. It must be so exciting to think of your new life starting at home. It sounds like the kids are so excited, we'll definitely be praying for you all.

Just this morning I was thinking about a lady who made minature puppet theaters that we saw at a craft fair in Bogota. She was so sweet, and she spoke English, so she put on a couple shows for Caleb. I regret not buying one, even though they were pricey! That puppet theater in your pictures looks just like the ones she made and sold. I wonder if it was the same lady, or just someone who had bought one of her theaters. Funny that I was just thinking of her today. I hope you enjoyed the show!

Love,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Attractive part of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in
accession capital to assert that I get actually loved account your weblog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds or even I achievement you get
admission to constantly fast.

Also visit my blog ... new cellulite treatment