Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Big Milestone for Joaquin


It's below 30 degrees today and he was running around bare foot and shirtless, but then put on a winter cap...crazy kid! I had to finally make him put his shirt back on.

My little man, Joaquin, has to know where I am at all times. As he is eating lunch, I often do laundry and a other chores while he is sitting still. However, ever since we have been home, I have to tell him when I leave the room or he starts calling for me in a bit of panic. If I go to the bathroom, I have to tell him. “hey little man, I am going potty.” After about 3 seconds, I hear him outside bathroom door. If I go to the laundry room, same thing, in about 3 seconds he will be at the door. I noticed about a month and a half ago that this starting getting better. It still happens on occasion, but without panic. Only about half of the time would he follow me, and I didn’t have to announce where I was going in order for him not to have slight panic.

But going to the mailbox was a different story. Walking out of the house to get the mail without him was pretty much forbidden. Even if I told him where I was going and told him he could watch me from the window, he still had to walk out the door with me. It broke my heart at first, but I knew he would eventually become comfortable. It kind of became a sort of routine, announce where I was going etc. But about a two weeks ago, I noticed that he was no longer following me to the mailbox. He was okay staying in the house playing while I made the quick trip down the driveway and back. So today, I thought I would test the waters. I told him I was going to take out some garbage, and would be right back. He can’t see me from the window when we go to the garbage cans on the side of the house. He didn’t even bat an eye. He just kept eating lunch and was perfectly fine when I came back. A few min later I went out to grab the mail and again, I came back to a perfectly happy little boy. Way to go Joaquin!

He will still on occasion yell “Mom?” when I am in another room, and I answer “I’m right here little man” and he just goes on playing. He does it unconsciously, but I think he is starting to heal a bit. And he is even finally growing. Once we got rid of the parasites he started showing signs of some growth!

My little man is growing and learning by leaps and bounds.

He loves his pups! Pretty soon I'm gonna have to not let him sit on them anymore, but they sure don't mind. He sits and lays on them all the time, and sometimes he falls asleep like that.


He loves to ask Jazz for kisses and then to be smothered in doggie kisses. (Gross...I know)

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, Beth, he's adorable! :)

Boyacheks said...

Happy New Year!
I am trying to get caught up in the blog world. That is great to hear about Joaquin and his big milestone! I am glad to hear you guys had great holidays too!
The Boyacheks

Renee said...

Those pictures are adorable. It's great to hear that he's adjusting so well and growing too!

Ange said...

Wow! That is a big step! I love the pictures with him sitting on the doggies!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

:) Such a cutie!!! He sounds like Diego!

Nicole said...

That's Awesome!! Love the pictures with the dogs!

The Jensen Family said...

It's so wonderful to see such growth, and aren't the celebrations inside your heart wonderful!!?? You can see in his eyes how happy he is.

Traci

Tracey K. said...

This is my first time to your blog and it's really nice, Beth. You've done such a beautiful job with it! I haven't read everything yet, but I will. Joaquin is really making progress thanks to your patience and love. My oldest daughter was the same way after we experienced the Northridge earthquake in California. Healing took a long time and happened in tiny steps, but it did happen. Way to go, Joaquin!