Thursday, October 30, 2008

Time flies when you're having fun!

I can’t believe how long it’s been since I have posted. I have had several complaints and emails from folks wanting to know what’s going on in the Hollis home. Yes, we are still here and all is well, busy, very busy, but all is well. But because it’s been so long I don’t even know where to begin. Since my last post I am back to work 25 hours a week and in full swing with football and fall activities. The fall is my busiest time, I love it, but I can really feel a difference when football season is over.




So let’s start with Jess. A day or two after my last post we decided to put her back in 1st grade. She was doing well but very behind the other children in 2nd grade. They had only been in school a week or two, so the change was not a big deal. She is doing wonderfully in 1st grade and instead of struggling and feeling behind, she is on top of the game and doing well with reading and making friends. She is also coming along wonderfully with her English.

Jessica has recently been coming out with a lot of interesting stories about her life in Colombia. We have struggled with knowing if some of them are made up or true, some of them are definitely true, but some just don’t make sense compared to the info we have been given. I can’t imagine she remembers as much as she claims. She was a young 3 ½ when taken to the orphanage. She claims she remembers the day the police came and how she was taken to La Maria. She also talks about wanting to change her name. One day she wants it to be Molly and the next it’s Tatiana. Her middle name at one time was Tatiana. Her name was changed a few times before she came to us. We keep telling her we love her name as Jessica and so she says, “Ok, but call me Jess or Jessie” Normally we call her Jess, but she is so funny about this name thing. We will have our re adoption hearing in November and we can make changes to her name at that time. Right now she does not have a middle name, and we planned to make it Jessica Ann. Ann is my middle name. I love the name Tatiana for her middle name, but the family really wants to keep Ann. So we’ll see.

Jessica’s new thing is to call Emilee “my sister” and the boys, “my brother. It’s really very cute. She will say things like, “Can I stay at home with my sister when you go to the store?” She is very proud of her family. I remember a time when they called everyone Mom, so it’s great to see they have bonded so well and are proud of being part of a family! Every night Eric says bed time prayers with the kids. He is trying to teach them how to not recite prayers but to make their prayers from their own hearts. So the other night Jessica was saying her prayers and just before Eric turned out the light she said, “oh wait Daddy, I have one more prayer!” then goes on with “and thank you Jesus for the best Mommy and Daddy you could give me” Doesn’t that just melt your heart?!

I have also had the privilege of being able to help out at the kid’s school once a week. The first day I came in I was helping in Jessica’s gym class. She was sure to tell the whole class “That’s my Mom!” Just innocently proud to have a Mama!

Little Miss Jessica has kept the tooth fairy busy. She lost two teeth in one week. After she lost the second one she said, "please no more picutres Mommy!"


As for Joaquin, what can I say, he is just Joaquin, a heart melter, a comedian, a love bug, and a very smart boy! He is doing great in school, and learning everything he can. He already knows almost all of his letters and their sounds and can come up with two to three words that start with each letter. He loves school and his teachers. I think he will be reading by the end of the school year. He is always trying to come up with words that rhyme, so that’s our big game. He is no longer afraid to go to bed in his room by himself, which shows me he is feeling very comfortable in his home. He does well with his chores and is finally gaining a little bit of weight since we got rid of the parasites. His English is awesome and he loves to play karate with Emilee. He has a great imagination that I love to watch in action. He can play with cars, action figures, or just about anything and can play for a good long time.

One of Joaquin's favorite places...on the couch with Jazz


The other day I was asking the kids what they would like for Christmas, and Joaquin thought for a minute then tells me he wants a picture of Nate when Nate was a baby. So Jess chimes in with “Joaquin, we are in the United States now and we will get lots of stuff, so think harder!” they are so excited about the holidays. It’s definitely going to be a Christmas to remember.

Emi and Nate are just staying busy with friends, sports, homework and tween life. Emi has just grown up so much in this last year it’s really hard to believe. And she got all As on her report card for the first quarter of Junior High. I am jus so proud of her. She is a beautiful young woman making wise decisions in her daily life and with her friends. Nate’s football team took 1st place in their league again, so we will start playoffs next weekend. The last 3 years his team has won the superbowl, so it’s a big deal, they are trying to keep their title.

We have our second post adoption meeting with our social worker on Monday. In just two weeks it will be 7 months since the kids have been with us. I remember this time last year we were playing the waiting game, just waiting for any ounce of news Colombia would have for us.

What a ride!

A normal day in the living room when Nate's willing to give up Sports Center on TV and get on the floor to play.

Emi and Jess at their Pajama party in the living room

Boys...what can I say!

11 comments:

Ange said...

Wow, 7 months already! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

I will say it! I was one of those people who begged, whined, and complained for a post. I feel like a certain few of us really bonded as we prayed thru different struggles and triumphs we had concerning our adoption experiences. And, I was so glad to be able to be part of yours by praying and standing in agreement with you as you waited, as you prepared, as you traveled, and even now! I am so glad everything is going well...

And, wow! How they have grown and bonded... what a sweet blessing Jess is! Precious! So proud of her Mami! (I'm partial to Tatiana, and it Ann in it, right?)

Joaquin sounds a lot like Diego! I think we will have some real cassanovas! Girls look out!

So glad Emmi and Nate are doing well. What great accomplishments! I know you are so proud of them!

Thanks for the update, my sista! Congrats on 7 months!

Anonymous said...

It has been amazing to watch Jess and Joaquin blossom at school.

As for Joaquin - he will truly melt your heart! He made a little ghost the other day and he was so proud when he gave it to me. When he smiles, you just know he will get anything he want!

Thank you for the post - I can't wait for pictures!

Margie

Erin said...

So glad you posted! Your children are adorable :)

THE CALDERARO'S said...

Happy Halloween, what a treat!! I have been checking back every now and then for an update. L-O-V-E that toothless smile. The kids look like they are having sooo much fun together. Pajama parties, I remember those..Ahhh. We all have so much to be thankful for.
WE MISS YOU GUYS!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! The pictures are so wonderful. Jess is so cute saying "That's my mom!" in class....they are just so proud. You guys are such an amazing family together. I know I've said it before....but Emi and Nate really left a mark on Mark and I when we were in Colombia. They were just so caring, sincere, and compassionate. I can only imagine how amazing you guys are now with Joaquin and Jess as they continue to bond with you.

Debi

Juniper said...

Wow!! 7 months already!! How time flies!!

I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing well!! I have been thinkin bout y'all lately, wondering how things have been and hoping that all was well. I have been checkin in to see if you posted! So glad that you finally did!!

So awesome that all the kids are doing so well!! I'm sure that these next holidays coming up will be ones to remember forever!!

Huge hugs and lots of Love!
Jenn

C. Eric Hollis said...

"Hello everybody" (a quote from Joaquin.) I always read what my wife writes, so I thought I would post how proud I am of our Wonderful Children and also of Her. This blog is truly an amazing part of a large family that is made up of all of you. Thank you for all the support you all give.

We love you all.

Eric

Genece said...

Loved hearing all that's happening and to see the pictures. It's so inspirational to watch them evolve into wonderful little children of God. Your family is just beautiful! Thanks for your monthly updates! I love to hear about all the happenings.

D and Moni said...

It's so good to hear how wonderful everything is going, it gets me excited about coming home and having a family routine. You sound so proud,as you should be! It's hard to believe that 7 months have gone by already...it seems yesterday that i was hanging on every word from your trip! You are such an awesome Mami and Papi, I only pray we will be as successful by the grace of God!

Dan and Karen said...

They all look so much older than they did 7 months ago! Are you sure it's only been that long? :) Anyway, thanks for updating and letting us have a little peek into your lives.