Friday, October 19, 2007

Mama has to brag


Sorry in advance, I think this may be a bit lengthy.

It has been one of those weeks that you just couldn’t be any prouder. Let me start with Nate. First of all a few weeks ago he was given an award by his school. He received the “2007 Southwest Local School, Outstanding Student Award”. He was chosen by his teachers and school staff as the only 5th grader to receive this award. This is quite an honor. The plaque was presented to him at the local school board meeting. Emilee received this same award a few years ago. The faculty and staff at the kid’s school is amazing and it makes us proud to know they think so much of our children.

Then on Saturday at Nate’s football game he made his first touchdown. I should explain that he starts on both offense and defense. But on offense, he is a lineman, not a ball carrier. However, his coach put him in as full-back on about the 10 ish yard line. Nate was pumped, then made a touchdown. The action shot photographer, a friend of mine, captured the action then printed the shot and asked Nate to autograph it to be displayed in his photo bus. Then after the game the coach stopped me. He said that he put Nate in to run the ball because he has been the hardest working kid on the team for the past few years and always comes to practice and games with a good attitude and gives 100%, so he deserved to have a chance to run in a touchdown. It was very nice for Nate to be rewarded for his efforts.

Then Nate several days later comes walking down the hall, obviously in deep thought. He stops in front of me with a very serious look and says to me “Mom, do you ever wish you could see the future?” I said, “Yep, sometimes” He just looked at me silently for a few seconds and then continued to explain why he wished to see the future. “I really wish I could see the future and see who my other siblings are and when we get to go get them, I also wonder if I will get to play college football and then be in the NFL.” I had to laugh at him, but he was as serious as a heart attack. I just love to hear about what they are thinking. It warms your heart.

Now to brag on Emi a bit. The other day Emi said “hey mom guess what I ate today?” She went on to explain that they had tacos at school and one of the sides was refried beans. She said “I got them just to try. Guess why I tried them?” She then asked. “I tried them to start getting used to trying to eat new things and eating things I don’t like to be ready to go to Colombia.” I can’t imagine what is going thru their minds…fear of the unknown, but excitement to complete our family.

This week, today, Friday is Parent’s Day at their school. I was unable to go, but Eric, Daddy, is there. They have breakfast together and then they have an assembly that the parents get to sit in on. Well Emilee was chosen as one of two sixth graders to give a short speech for the parents. The title of her speech is “Why I am Proud of my Parents”. She gave the speech to me last night, knowing I was not going to be there today. It will be a surprise for her daddy. The speech reads as follows: My family is adopting 2 children from Colombia in South America. We are adopting 2 children under the age of 7. We have gone through a lot of paperwork and now we are just waiting for a cal to tell us they found a family of 2 for us. I am proud of my parents for doing this because I know there will be a family helped. Another reason I am proud of them is that I know they will give a better life to them. It will take cooperation, but there will be a better place for my new siblings. None of this would be going on if it were not for my mom and dad.

I have awesome kids.

Now, adoption stuff…

I will answer a question that was posed from my last entry. I mentioned that several families have received referrals and several families were traveling. The question was, Are any of them adopting 2 siblings ages 0 – 7? Nope, so we are still about 8 or 9 down on the list. I also mentioned in a previous post that no one travels after Nov 15th and that things pretty much shut down Dec 15 – Jan 15 (ish). So I asked if referrals are still made at this time or if that comes to a halt too. Our agency replied saying, “Referrals continue all through the holidays, although at a much slower rate than normal because personnel is out on vacation and they can't get everyone together always for an adoption committee meeting.” So that is good news, things will continue to move along thru the holidays.

Sorry this is so long, but being a mom is who I am, and I can’t help but brag on them when they deserve it. I have just been so proud of them as we have gone through this process. They are real troopers and are just as excited as we are. But in all the hubbub of the adoption stuff, I don’t want them to feel left out and praising them for who they are and what they do is very important.

2 comments:

Juniper said...

WOW!! Great job Nate and Emi!!! Congratulations on your awards and touchdown! And Emi...It is awesome of you to be thinking of the future and what you are going to have to do/change for your new siblings!! That was a beautiful thing to say about your parents. I know you are proud of them, just as I know they are very proud of you and Nate!!!

You all have such an open mind for what needs to be done, and a completely wonderful attitude during this entire process. You stay positive and no matter what you always have a smile on your faces.

It's still not November yet either. I know you said that things slow down for the holidays but they don't stop, so that is great too!! And who knows? Impossible thing have been happening throughout this entire process for you...Stay postive and keep your chin up. You have a beautiful family and two more beautiful children on the way.

Laura S said...

That is so great your kids are so into the adoption. Its nice to see them so excited about their new siblings already! And congrats to them on their achievements too.