Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Getting Closer


Yesterday Eric and I had an appointment with a marriage therapist. We had to have an assessment of our marriage which included how we deal with stress, how we problem solve, what do we include or not include the kids on. We had to discuss the most difficult time in our marriage and how we dealt with it etc. The point is that anytime you bring in an older child to your family, there will be stress and additional issues to deal with. Colombia wants to be sure that the the adopting family is strong and will be able to deal and overcome the additional stresses that may come with the child/children. Anyway, the appointment went very well and the therapists report will be complete in a week.


After the appointment Eric and I began to discuss what all is left to do. We both became very excited to see the light at the end of the paperwork tunnel! We have to set up visit with the psychologist for personality testing and Eric needs a letter from his employer, proving his salary, and other general employment issues. Then we have to write an autobiography of ourselves. These are the next major steps. There are some additional things we will need to do too, but what I have just listed are the next steps we are focusing on completing.


Baseball is almost over and we will have a few weeks before Football and Cheerleading start, so I am hoping to accomplish a lot of this in the next few weeks. My real goal is to have all of our items complete by the first of August!


The kids are getting excited too. They have stopped asking a lot of questions so I have been trying to be creative with thoughts to give to them. Food for thought, kind of. They are in for such a shock and I want them to be as prepared as possible. My thought for them this week is on the country and our trip itself. I want them to view it as an adventure and to find something to learn everyday while we are there. The trip will be hard, just being away from home for 3 to 4 weeks, but also they will have to go to every legal appointment with us. They are so well behaved, but even they will get tired of the running to all of the appointments we will have to attend. I want them to be prepared for the change in food style, and the fact that they will not understand anything the people around them are saying. It's easy to accept these things for a few days, but for a whole month...can any of us really be prepared for that?


Hope everyone is doing well. I will write more soon.

1 comment:

Juniper said...

Well it looks like things are moving along nicely. I know that makes you very happy and excites all of you. Seems like this has all gone rather quickly from what I hear about how long adoptions take. I know you can handle anything that the kids with bring to you about the adoption and I know they will do just fine over in Columbia while visiting and going through the notions. Emi and Nate will be just fine over there. You and Eric will be there and although it will be stressful you are a strong family and can handle anything that comes your way. Keep your heads up! You and your family have much support from many many people! I'm here for ya if you need anything. Just give me a shout! Luv ya guys!